• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

openning ttf

This topic is 3738 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, I am moving to Suse 10.3 from 10.2 ( 64 bit ). I am using kDevelop for the editor but I did not use kDevelop to set up the project. I used my make file from a command line build. I would like to use kDevelop fully but not sure how to add like freetype and such to the overall project - any side link here? I copied my entire project folder over to my new machine and had build errors. I am down to one and I am unsure what to look for. From another post I found I had to add -lfreetype to my make file though it was not needed on the 10.2 machine(s) but that fixed my one set of errors. I went to my 10.2 machine and added the library and it still built and run just fine. I got a warning next about not using const char * instead of char * so I changed this. I cannot open the font though. If I comment out openning the font my program runs - with out fonts. I have : // -------------------------- // Text stuff // -------------------------- const char *Font_Name = "fonts/FreeSerif.ttf"; int Font_style = TTF_style_NORMAL ;//| TTF_style_ITALIC ; int Font_Size = 42 ; and make the call: font = TTF_OpenFont( Font_Name, Font_Size ); if(!font) { fprintf( logPtr, "TTF OpenFont failed: %s ", TTF_GetError()); fprintf( logPtr, "%s\n", Font_Name); Quit(-3); } fprintf( logPtr,"%s opened \n", Font_Name); I also tried : font = TTF_OpenFont( "fonts/FreeSerif.ttf", Font_Size ); but each give me a segmentation fault. The font is there in the folder and seems in good. My log file is not updated I guess because the error shuts down the program without closing the file but I get marker / error messages in my log file if I comment the font creation and quit jump out. Thoughts to what I am missing? Thanks Kumado

Advertisement
Are you calling TTF_Init? I had a problem like this and it was because I was loading a font before I was Initializing the library.

Yes I am and that is my problem. I got so fixated on the :

text.cpp:39: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’

that I assumed it was the font name issue that was giving me errors. When I started doing more testing I realized TTF_Init is not working. Sorry for the premature post. I need to see what has changed to not allow ttf to initialize. Freetype and all seems to be installed but...

making the call :
if( TTF_Init( ) == -1 )
{
fprintf( logPtr, "TTF Init failed: %s\n", TTF_GetError());
Quit( -2 );
}
is what gives me the fault. I commented out the fprintf line thinking it could be the TTF_GetError() since TTF_Init fails but it still segment faults.

Thanks, back to more digging.

Kumado

TFF_GetError just calls the SDL_GetError method, I'm pretty sure it's just a #define. Maybe you need the init SDL too?

Deep breaths - too many irons in the fire too.

Teaching this year has been such a loss. Been more baby-sitting than anything.

I finally got it back up. I reinstalled the freetype and sdl_ttf libs and it worked fine.
I had on additional problem to get out of the way but I am back in gear once again.

Thanks much for all the help.

Kumado

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement