Sign in to follow this  

Design Question

This topic is 3672 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya, Every time I try to come up with a good design for an engine, I end up with a top-level 'Engine' interface/class. I really don't like this, as it means that all the engine components are very tightly coupled. Without this 'manager' to hold everything together, the coupling is much better but I can't see a way of doing some things - like having the engine run different subsystems on different threads. I've looked through these forums, but everyone seems to use the 'Engine class' method. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a better design, maybe something that has worked for them in the past? Many thanks for any help [smile]

If you try designing an engine, then it's pretty much a given that you're going to end up with an engine class. After all, wouldn't you think it was pretty strange if you tried modeling a toaster and didn't end up with a toaster class? If you want to get rid of the engine class, try designing a game rather than an engine.

I would argue that it's better to build your game ontop of your engine rather than take the engine out of the archetecture completely (if that's what you were suggesting). Just don't couple your engine components. Make sure they are modular.

This topic is 3672 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.