Sign in to follow this  

Can GPU programs read/write to the stencil buffer?

This topic is 3663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I'm doing a small post-processing effects framework, and i would like it to be as general as possible (that's funnier, i'll learn more and i can do more effects). So far i can ping-pong with the color and depth buffers (using FBOs). I'm wondering if i could include the stencil buffer in my framework as well. It seems like shaders can't really access the buffer. I must admit that i haven't really used stencil buffers before, so i'm sorry if my question shows this. :) So my questions:
  • can fragment programs write to the stencil buffer at all? (i looked at the Cg info and found nothing and there is no STENCIL semantic. GLSL perhaps?)
  • if they can't write directly to the stencil buffer, can they affect the values of the buffer indirectly somehow?
  • can fragment programs read from the stencil buffer?
Thanx for any pointers!

My guess is that its not programmable. If you enable stencil testing and set it up in your application, it will happen before or after the shader.

As for reading from the buffer, you could try glCopyTexImage with some kind of GL_STENCIL_BITS flag or something.

Reading/writing is not possible. The number of depth/stencil samples can be different to the number of fragments if a MSAA mode is used. The best idea would be to render into a color rendertarget and copy the rendered image with a PBO to the stencilbuffer.

This topic is 3663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.