Sign in to follow this  

Visual C++ 2008 express has no 64 bit support?

This topic is 3670 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings! I have just installed Visual C++ 2008 Express and noticed that there is no x64 support! OMG! In almost year 2008 Micro$oft still does not provide the compiler automaticaly?! WTF! I allways get disappointed whenever I try the Express project. As for the 2005 express example, where there was no platform SDK. Do I have to install somekind of platform SDK? Feel free to post!

I think you are probably missing 'something' as the web page for the Express download clearly states 'develop 32bit and 64bit apps'.

There will be no 'make a 64bit app' wizard selection, instead if it's anything like VS05 you'll need to make a new profile for compiling and change the processor type or whatever from x86 to x64.

Unfortunately not!

You can just pick Win32 platform in the projects directories (Include, LIB). Also the bat files provide only x86 support. There are no x64 files at all. The funny thing is, you can't do nothing wrong durring the installation, because you can only pick whenever you would like to install SQL 2008 or not. There are no advanced options.

I have installed it on a Vista x64 PROFESSIONAL operating system on a Core 2 DUO CPU but still by default there is no x64 support.

Did anyone else tried it? The funnny thing is also, that I was able to convert VS2005 projects that used x64 support, but you can not hit build.

And also the links in MSDN 2008 Install x64 support are dead?! On the internet the same article DOES exist, but is VS2008 (not EXPRESS) bound.

Just for the info, here it is clearly visible, that only x64 headers and libraries are installed where tools (compiler) has only win32 support:

[img]http://shrani.si/f/3q/6j/3bo55clL/vc2008installati.png[/img]

I hope Micro$oft will clear this issue.

1) Please stop saying "Micro$oft". It makes you sound immature, and if you want to get helpful responses, you have to sound mature and civil.

2) Since the Express editions support x64, and the installer claims the x64 components were installed successfully, the problem is more than likely on your end. I'd suggest reading the documentation a little more.

I hate how people complain about things that a simple Google would clear up. One of the first results on Google states:
Quote:
64-bit tools are not available on Visual C++ Express Edition by default. To enable 64-bit tools on Visual C++ Express Edition, install the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) in addition to Visual C++ Express Edition. Otherwise, an error occurs when you attempt to configure a project to target a 64-bit platform using Visual C++ Express Edition.

Mike, this is true. But you don't know which SDK is used for the Express editions. The latest won't do it. I tried it but nothing happnes. I get the x64 compiler but Visual C++ Express still does not offer any x64 support.

This means if you create a new application, and would like to add x64 support in the configuration manager, it does not work.

Funny thing is also, that in the SDK folder, VS Express installs 6.0A and the latest SDK is 6.1 which does not remove 6.0A.

It is very wierd. and frustrating.

From Vista and VS2008 onwards the platform sdk has been renamed the windows SDK and it can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C2B1E300-F358-4523-B479-F53D234CDCCF&displaylang=en

Install it and then in your project select X64 under linker->advanced->machine type and you should be good to go.

If you get stuck, here's an MSDN guide on setting VS up for 64bit compilation

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9yb4317s(VS.80).aspx

This topic is 3670 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.