Sign in to follow this  

BSP Map Loading?

This topic is 3674 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Are there any tutorials or libraries for loading BSP maps made with the Valve Hammer Editor (and compiled with ZHLT)? There's a description of the file format for the Source engine's BSP's: http://www.geocities.com/cofrdrbob/bspformat.html But that is too hard to understand... is there something simpler? Maybe I could use some tutorial from loading Quake 3 BSP's? Alternatively, is there any better map format I could use (that comes with an editor)? A preferably simpler one?

I did write a Quake 3 map loader once. Loading the BSP files themselves is fairly easy - it's much more annoying to have to load and parse the custom shader files Quake 3 uses (have a look here).

That's okay, I don't use shaders anyway. I won't be using any advanced stuff from the BSP, all I need is the vertices, faces, and texturing, and later I will add lighting, entities, portals, leafs, nodes, clusters, areas, and whatever I need for collision detection.

I'm using this for my zombie game project by the way... it's supposed to be a cross between Grand Theft Auto and the 'zombie infection' mod for Counter-Strike 1.6... cool, huh? If I can get it to work... :D
It's supposed to be about a city full of zombies where you can do most of the things like in GTA, but will be more of a shooter game like CS.

This topic is 3674 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.