C++ Pointers

Started by
11 comments, last by Andorien 16 years, 4 months ago
Hmm, don't think I'm fully understanding pointers and their usefulness. Passing a pointer to a function so the actual variable gets updated...

void add_five(int *iNumber)
{
    *iNumber += 5;
}

int iMy_number;

add_five(&iMy_number);
cout << iMy_number;
Understood. Faster array access through pointer arithmetic...

int iArray[10];
int *pArray_ptr;

pArray_ptr = iArray;

pArray_ptr++ = 1;  // no need for an array index variable
pArray_ptr++ = 2;
Understood. What about pointer access to a class? Direct access...

Position.draw();

Pointer Access...

Position->draw();
What are the benefits of accessing through a pointer?
Advertisement
i'm not that big of a C++ programmer but from what i understand it allows you to allocate objects on the heap/free store and the '->' notation is just how you access methods of that object.
For objects using the . or the -> notation is just a syntactic difference, nothing more. You use the object.method() if the object is allocated on the stack or if you hold a reference to the object while you have to write object->method() if object is actually a pointer. Thats basically all there is to it.
Hi!

The examples you listed could be seen as minor usages for pointers.

The real thing comes into the picture with dynamic memory allocation - allocation of memory on the heap.

When you declare a variable, it will have memory allocated on the stack assigned. As soon as it goes out of scope (for example you leave the function it was declared in) it gets dumped.

When you declare a pointer, no memory gets allocated. It is up to you to allocate memory for the pointer using the new keyword, which allocates memory on the heap. This memory won't get dumped until you tell it to, using the delete keyword.

Lets see an example. A function that creates a new monster, an instance of the Monster class, which we want to further use in our program.

Without using dynamic allocation:
Monster createMonster(){  Monster m(/*parameters*/);  return m; // we try to keep our new monster from getting dumped, so we return it}

We have successfully kept the monster we created, however we had to copy him in order to do so (and we'll probably have to copy him again and again later on), which depending on the complexity of the Monster class could be a significant overhead.

With dynamic allocation:
Monster* createMonster(){  Monster* m = new Monster(/*parameters*/);  return m;}

We allocated our monster on the heap, so the only thing we have to return (and thus copy) is our pointer that points to his location in memory. We can pass around this pointer as we please, our monster won't get dumped. With power comes responsibility though: we have to remember to delete our monster when we don't need it anymore.

This came out a little long winded, but hope it sheds some light on the subject.
void add_five(int *iNumber)
{
*iNumber += 5;
}

That's a bad example since in C++ you have references for that case.

My tip is not to try forcing the usefulness of pointers onto you, but simply make sure you understand what they are, and how you can work on them.

You will, soon enough, find places where you have to use pointers, such as polymorphism or when your allocated objects have to outlive he scope they were created in.
My Blog
They are also useful in many data structures like linked lists and trees. If you are creating an array, and you don't know the number of elements before compile time, you will most likely have to use pointers.
Ah, dynamic memory allocation. Thanks guys.

Morrandir, thanks for that good example (no copying required). And yes I will remember to delete afterwards - that's what destructors are for right? ;-)
Quote:Original post by Steve Elliott

Morrandir, thanks for that good example (no copying required). And yes I will remember to delete afterwards - that's what destructors are for right? ;-)

Thats what smart pointer objects are for.
#include <memory>std::auto_ptr<Monster> createMonster(){   return std::auto_ptr<Monster>(new Monster(/*parameters*/));}

It is well worth your while downloading the Boost libraries, you can think of them as add ons to the Standard C++ Library. In fact many of Boost's classes are considered for the upcoming C++0x standard. It includes a number of smart pointer implementations with more natural copy semantics than std::auto_ptr<>.
Quote:Original post by Steve Elliott

It can be a use for destructor if you create a class to manage a resource.
Ok, I've got what I wanted now for the Position Class - any errors here?

csPosition* Position = NULL;Position = Position->create();Position->reset();Position->draw();csPosition* csPosition::create(){    csPosition* Position = new csPosition;    return Position;}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement