Chronological Order of C# Knowledge for a simple 2D Game

Started by
2 comments, last by Telastyn 16 years, 4 months ago
Hello, I am currently working on a 2D platformer in C# with XNA but my knowledge is currently limited as I just started learning the language. Also, it is my first object-oriented language. So here is my question: What is the chronological (preferably) order of knowledge (both C# and XNA) needed to create a simple 2D game in C# w/ XNA. I am aware that there are a bunch of C# tutorials out there, and those are great, but I would like to focus only on the knowledge that is required for a simple 2D game. **The main problem that I am having is understanding C# code and structure when it is applied to the 2D game. I can find C# tutorials... but they are distant from games. I can find XNA tutorials... but they never refer to the C# structure that has been used, and usually just give a block of code and say USE THIS! ** Lately, I've been basically manipulating and editing code that I find for my own needs but I want to and NEED to have a greater understanding. I would like my game to have: - A simple menu (I'm almost done this, although I'm having a bit of trouble with game states) - Music and sounds (I can already do this) - Character input (I can already do this) - Character animation (I can already do this) - Simple enemy AI - Simple platform tiles (I've seen some projects where the maps are created, saved, and loaded from text files, I would like to learn this!) - Rectangular collision detection Thank you very much
Advertisement
Well I would suggest that you learn C# before you learn XNA. As you said, that when you look at some XNA tutorials you don't understand some of the code. Thats because when you went to the basic C# tutorials they didn't talk about games so you skipped them.

In order to create a game you must first understand the language. Once you understand the language you can create a game. Taking shortcuts will take you nowhere if you don't understand the language.
Quote:Original post by Corrob
Well I would suggest that you learn C# before you learn XNA. As you said, that when you look at some XNA tutorials you don't understand some of the code. Thats because when you went to the basic C# tutorials they didn't talk about games so you skipped them.

In order to create a game you must first understand the language. Once you understand the language you can create a game. Taking shortcuts will take you nowhere if you don't understand the language.

Agreed. IMO beginning a new language can be the most boring part of beginning. This is because you are so into wanting to create the next big thing that you forget to think what you need for it. Just keep studying C#. Before you know it things will start clicking where they relate to games.

Chad

1. Hello World (Get a compiler and get it working)

2a. C# 101 Syntax (Get resources, start in on syntax via doodling)

2b. C# 102 Debugging (Screw up syntax, learn how to debug)

3a. Tech demos (Make little throwaway tech demos while learning sound/animation/AI)

3b. Google (Wait, what do you know about sound/animation/AI?)

3c. Program Design (Realize that the tech demos kinda suck and aren't reusable, learn program design better via practice)

4a. (Optional) Prototyping (Make a few half working games that you quit on because you didn't learn enough in 3b.)

4b. Pong (Make a horrible version of pong or an equivalent, but it works... kinda).

As others have said, build a foundation and progress along slowly. Set yourself up for success. It takes time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement