A Glance at futurisitic DirectX

Started by
2 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 16 years, 4 months ago
Hi, This is from the recent DirectX doc:
Use of DirectDraw is no longer recommended. With the release of Direct3D 9.0, all two-dimensional functionality is contained within Direct3D and its associated helper functions in D3DX. However, the DirectDraw documentation is still available and can be viewed on MSDN at DirectDraw. DirectMusic will maintain its current status until new technology in these areas is made available. DirectMusic documentation can be found at: (SDK Root)\Documentation\DirectX9. DirectPlay is deprecated, and Microsoft strongly recommends against using it to develop new applications. Game developers should use Windows Sockets (see Windows Sockets) and the Windows Firewall APIs (see Windows Firewall for Game Developers). DirectShow is no longer recommended for game development. All the DirectShow components (headers, libraries, utilities, tools, and samples) were removed from the DirectX SDK in the April 2005 release. DirectShow is available in the latest Platform SDK Install. /
The next DirectX doc will say: The same as above in addition to this: DirectMusic is no longer supported and we encourage using OpenAL instead. Direct3D is no longer supported, (deprecated or whatever, and we strongly recommend using OpenGL instead. DirectInput??? I think it will remain for a while. I know it sounds funny but it can be true...in the future. Cheers.
Advertisement
Is there a question here, or is this just flame bait?
So, let me get this straight... just because Microsoft deprecates some outdated APIs or recommends the use of more modern APIs over legacy stuff you think it will make DirectX obsolete as a whole?

Last time I checked, ALL commercial (PC) games I've seen used DirectX to some degree. If they didn't use Direct3D for rendering, they generally used at least DirectInput or DirectSound (or some kind of wrapper built ontop of DirectSound).

But whatever... since you can't possibly be serious, this isn't at all worth arguing about.
Top irony; OpenGL mod closing DX thread sayign that D3D will be dropped in favour of OGL...

that and this is total flame bait stupidness...

Jack; keep your house in order damn it [razz]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement