Beginning

Started by
4 comments, last by MAGIgullorks 16 years, 4 months ago
I have just downloaded dev Cplus plus (the plus sign wont work!) 3 days ago, and got as much info as I can. I have been trying to create an ascii rogue rpg like adom, but i figured thats to high to start off with. "My favorite games are rpg games." But, I need help. I am pretty smart, dont go on too basic, but I need some good sites which show really good tutorials for dev cplusplus. I tried the help context, but yet got nothing much out of that. Oh, and please tell me how to use smileys. "LOL" It doesnt work like most sites... [ Please don't tart up your subject lines. Leave them some dignity. --Sneftel ] [Edited by - Sneftel on November 30, 2007 10:27:40 PM]
Advertisement
Oh, and one more thing, I figure to start out I should create a game like wraith lands, and rpg written (but really short), and i call it DARK LANDS:SHADOWED FORESTS. Would that be a good starting point?
Lesson 1: Use less caps.
Lesson 2: Text smileys are the only real smileys.

(Seriously, don't use thread titles like that...)
I am not sure what type of help you need with devC++. If you mean help with programming in C++, that is different than help with using an IDE. If you need help with the IDE, here is a quick easy tutorial: tutorial.

If you need help with C++ in general, there are plenty of resources. Yr local library or bookstore is a good start. Also, online resources are pretty good, so I use almost those exclusively; I also have one book on C++.

However, if you don't know C++ already, you may want to pick another longuage. Python & pygame I hear are pretty good for an ASCII roguelike. Or look into C#.

I am sort of making an ASCII roguelike game. I am using ASCII-type graphics for the time being so I can work on the actual game mechanics. I use SDL for the graphics library (use google to find out more). Many roguelike games also allow the source to be downloaded so you can look there for coding clues as well.

Also, the SDL site to has many game making tutorials.

As far as an IDE goes, most people here would advise using code blocks or the free microsoft one (see FAQ for more info).
On a light note, this was a really funny post!

On a more serious note, check out CProgramming. I found their tutorials very easy to understand, enough so that it was my main learning to for quite a while.

FlyingIsFun1217
Thanks for the help! :D I'll use the tutorials you gave, and try to create some games. (First I need some tea...) I made a game on game maker 7, but its not that good. If you tell me how to upload it here, I'll show you it. But thanks anyway. (:D this what you meant? Lol...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement