Sign in to follow this  

problem compiling

This topic is 3668 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok, i'm a newbie programmer and am learning on my own from online tutorials and books. i had been doing simple programs using Visual C++, but then i stopped because of personal issues, but today i started back up. before the programs i wrote seemed to all work fine, but now the compiler gives me an "unresolved external" error. i have this code from a tutorial site:
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
	cout<<"Hey, you, I'm alive! Oh, and Hello World!\n";
	cin.get();
}

on the site it says this program works, but for some reason it, like i said, gives me the unresolved external error. if someone has any info for me, plz let me know what's wrong. also, if u think it may have something to do with not having a return value set up, i tried using 'return 0;' and got the same result, except without the return value warning. thanks ahead for the help

ok, when i run the compile, it says this pasted below:

--------------------Configuration: app - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
app.cpp
Linking...
LIBCD.lib(wincrt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16
Debug/app.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

app.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

i have no idea what it means either, i've never seen it before, and i've even tried running simple calculator programs i know should work and they still don't

That error means that when you created your project you created a windows application rather than a console application. Go to your linker settings and change the subsystem from windows to console. Depending on your version of MSVC it may be under Linker/System/SubSystem.

This topic is 3668 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.