Why different world matrices?

Started by
3 comments, last by janta 16 years, 4 months ago
Hello, Why would one ever need more than one world matrix? I just looked at the D3DTS_WORLDMATRIX macro in the docs and it said that up to 256 matrices could be set with it. Thanks, Chad
Advertisement
This link is to an article about a game that had a different coordinate system for just about avery few meters of terrain.

http://www.drizzle.com/~scottb/gdc/continuous-world.htm

The same applies to world matrices. Well object matrices really.

You have a hand in your app? it has a world martix? Fine - but does each finger have one or do they inherit the hands and modify it by their own finger matrix?

You can have a single world system to base all your coordinates on but it is hard - especially with regard to things that influence each other or are dependant on something else for coordinates (ie the finger-hand thing).

As for the Macro you were reffering to - i don't know. I have not used it.

Regards
'I is what I is. Eggegegegegeg' - The wisdom of Popeye
Among other things, the array of world-matrices is used to represent the bone transformations for fixed-function skeletal animation.
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
I see. So, it basically the orientation for all objects in the visible world. But isn't there a risk there could be more than 256 objects visible, each with their own world matrix?
Quote:Original post by Chad Seibert
I see. So, it basically the orientation for all objects in the visible world. But isn't there a risk there could be more than 256 objects visible, each with their own world matrix?

The purpose is not using them for multiple objects, but for one single object (that is, a vertex buffer) whose vertices have weight information.
You would set the "world matrices" (which would in fact be animation matrices) that your animation system spit out and your animated model would be rendered with the appropriate pose instead of the classical "jesus pose" (in addition to be coorectly positionned in the world)

Look up animation and skinning to find out more.

JA

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement