Sign in to follow this  

DX10 HLSL Shader Debuggin in PIX

This topic is 3665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I want to debug my DirectX10 HLSL Vertex and Pixel Shader. So I started a new PIX "Single Frame Capture" projected, pressed F12, selected the frame, clicked on the Render Tab, made a right click on the picture and selected "Debug this Pixel". In the new Debugger Tab I am now able to debug vertex0, 1 and 2 and the selected pixel. But the problem is: if I click on "Debug Vertex 0" PIX shows me the assembler code of my shader (though my shader is written in HLSL). Is there a way to debug through my HLSL code? Thanks!

For me it shows the HLSL code. This is just a guess but, do you load your shader from a bytecode or from text?
I load it from text, but maybe if you load it from bytecode it can only disassemble it to assembly level. After all, there is no way to get the HLSL code from the already compiled shader AFAIK.

Admittedly I haven't tried it recently, but I'm pretty sure you have to compile the shader with the debug flag (D3D10_SHADER_DEBUG) and it often makes more sense to skip optimization as well (D3D10_SHADER_SKIP_OPTIMIZATION).

hth
Jack

This topic is 3665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.