Trying to make a simple 2D game with C++ and I not sure where to start...

Started by
3 comments, last by jaiburn 16 years, 4 months ago
Well, actually... I want to try and learn how to make 2D graphic based games( right now, I'm think of using OpenGL) and I figured I should start simple... Maybe a Breakout style game for a start. Now, I have about a year and a half's worth of experiance coding, but I have basic grasp on C++ language. At the moment, I do not think I need any ral help with the C++ coding itself... I just need pointed to a decent tutorial or two that will help me learn OpenGL (the tutorials, I have found so far skate around what I want to know or give code and say 'copy and paste', then give little to no explaination as to what the code is doing... granted I understand some of it... but ultimately I'm not learning from that method.) Now say I making a Breakout clone. I want to learn how to summon/create a window and then draw the game objects (bricks, paddle thing, ball, etc) to the screen and control the paddle with either keyboard, mouse, or both. I also want to make a basic title screen menu/GUI. This basically how I think I should start, but my OpenGL knowledge and API knowledge is less than I would like it to be. I also have reason for wanting to learn this using C++, so I really don't need any references to other languages. So if someone can point me in the direction of some decent C++ OpenGL tutorials or if at least point me to a decent book, I would be very grateful.
Advertisement
NeHe is a good starting point.
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
So far this site looks exactly like what I've been looking for. Thanks!
I'm not trying to turn this into a "which API is better" war, but I would recommend you check out SDL. SDL is a 2d graphics API which takes care of window creation, input, and graphics - basically, it doesn't require you to learn any Windows programming - and it works perfectly with OpenGL, so you can start by using SDL, then begin using OpenGL on top of your SDL knowledge when you want to go 3d. Its also cross-platform, if that is of any matter to you. Here you can find the most complete SDL tutorials on the net. I don't mean to derail the OpenGL help, but since you say you are somewhat new to programming I figured I'd make sure you were properly advised. ;) (Plus, despite the popularity of NeHe's tutorials, I think they ultimately become copy & paste tutorials that aren't explained thoroughly and have poorly organized code.)
http://www.videotutorialsrock.com/
very good opengl tutorials with good explanations

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement