Hardware Acceleration

Started by
3 comments, last by jollyjeffers 16 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I'm having some problems with getting hardware acceleration to work like it's supposed to. I've got a RADEON 9250 graphics card yet I can exploit very limited functionality on its part. For example, I am unable to use Multi-Sampling... I can only get it to work to a limited extent using the D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONMASKABLE value and the MultisampleQuality cannot exceed 1. I've been to the ATI website and they claim that my graphics card supports up to 8x multi-sampling. I did create the device using D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING but that doesn't help. Also, it seems to be running quite slow... The other day, I made a 3D rotating heightmap using triangle lists and it was starting to be noticeably slower after roughly 200 triangles. It was done using basic Triangle Lists but I thought that it was still far too slow considering that my hardware isn't 'THAT' out of date. I tried this on a different machine (older) and I was actually able to get it working with MultisampleQuality 2 on D3D_NONMASKABLE but the speed still fell far short of my expectations... With 8 triangles and MultisampleQuality set to 2, it must have been running at like 10 frames per second. Where the graphics cards 'bugged' or could it be something that I'm missing in my code. Thanks
Advertisement
Almost definatly code. Method and implementation should be looked at - check resource creation and release and just general practices used.

You need to find the bottle neck really.

Oh check you are not using SOFTWARE EMULATION instead of the hardware. That slows you down loads - ie if you are using vertex shaders check the card can run them or directX will emulate it in software.

Um cant really help much more without code or an over view of what you are doing at least.

Regards
'I is what I is. Eggegegegegeg' - The wisdom of Popeye
Here's some sample code I got from a tutorial... Same story.
It's oldish but I don't see why it's having trouble with multi-sampling.

Clicky
I think it may have something to do with my graphics card and Direct3D compatibility. I downloaded a sample on this site. One of the files rendered using OpenGL and the other was using Direct3D. As it occured, the one using OpenGL has nice multisampling but the one with Direct3D has no multisampling at all, it looks all pixelated. I've noticed this while testing 'Command and Conquer Generals' a while back but I thought it might just have been the game itself...
Sounds to me (and from the code you linked to) that you're not doing device enumeration. Trying to guess what settings you can use from AMD's marketing literature is just foolish to be honest - everyone knows that marketing are only good for making wild claims and colouring in pictures [grin]

Make sure you enumerate what your hardware is actually capable of (the SDK samples will show you how - code that populates the device config screen) and select accordingly.

Whilst it isn't unheard of to have performance differences between OpenGL and Direct3D it's not guaranteed that they are using the exact same features or configuration - even if it's the same hardware! Before drawing any conclusions from comparisons make sure you're comparing apples with apples instead of oranges and pears [wink]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement