Sign in to follow this  

Is it possible to create 2d games on Visual Basic 2008 express edition?

This topic is 3667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I just recently got Visual Basic 2008. I am new to game making and thus, is why I am making 2d games with the simplest of languages. I am trying to create a 2d arcade application. But I don't know how to make the 2d games! I can make Role-Playing text based games, but not 2d sprite driven games? Can you help, and tell me if it is even possible?

If you can accept input in VB and output graphics to the screen in VB and write some sort of logic to link the two if VB, then you can create 2D games in VB. Now you just need to figure out how each of those components works... in VB. But it is quite possible.

ok, I am quite new to programming, so can you make what you said in a step by step process, so that I can make a simplegame that you are in a battle field and fight an npc. I have tons of sprites... how do I put them in?

Yes, its possible. I did in in Visual Basic 5, making alien space ships fly around the screen, and I even did a proof-of-concept RTS game where you run an anthill. So yes, I'd say so.

I personally would recommend trying c# as well, the interface for Visual Studio is used for both languages and after a few brief encounters, I'd say c# was more powerful than Visual Basic for that kind of stuff.

Good luck.

Quote:
Original post by TearReaver
ok, I am quite new to programming, so can you make what you said in a step by step process, so that I can make a simplegame that you are in a battle field and fight an npc. I have tons of sprites... how do I put them in?

Have an image box for each one, invisible, stored somewhere. for each sprite on the screen, assuming you use an image box as a sprite (I did with fairly good results) you simply change the image by going

OurHero.picture = SPRITE_HERO.picture

Thus copying the image from the sprite into the image for your hero. Then, in a custom function, draw the image for your hero wherever on the screen he or she happens to be. Do the same for each monster.

You handle input by creating the method form.key_press(). I forget what the parameters are.

Collision detection can be done by comparing each edge of one image against the edges of another. For example, if the north edge of image1 is between the north and south edges of image2, and the east edge is between the east and west edges, the images are overlapping and have collided.

Game logic can be done using a timer object. Each tick of the timer runs a piece of code, for example to make the NPC decide which direction to move in.

I have used both VB.NET and C# and the only real thing that might limit you in making a game in VB.NET is the speed. I find VB.NET to be quite slow (execution wise) for some tasks... That being said, for your purposes and with computers where they are at now adays in terms of speed, you shouldn't really have too many problems making a simple 2d game in VB.

This topic is 3667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.