Designing game ideas as a hobby

Started by
7 comments, last by jaiburn 16 years, 4 months ago
For several years I have been coming up with ideas for computer games in my head and more recently I tried typing one down and have so far got six pages of what I believe to be quite concise game design. What I would like to do is make my ideas public for anyone to use as they please. My problem is this, I realize that every person who is capable of making games already has their own idea for an amazing game but all I really want is for someone to read one of mine and think "wow, that's a clever way of doing xyz." (I would like to add that my ideas are almost all mechanics, little to no story.) and as a result the future of gaming is changed for the better. To be more to the point, do people mind me coming in here and posting ideas to games (provided they are designed with the skill and resources of the people who frequent these forums in mind.) on a semi regular basis just for people to have a look at and take ideas from? I don't want people getting annoyed with me because I just come up with idea after idea and don't commit to making an actual game as fleshing out ideas is what I enjoy doing. So is this ok with people?
Advertisement
I guess it's fine, just post it in proper section:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=17

and first read this:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?whichpage=1&pagesize=25&topic_id=260813
OpenGL fanboy.
Thanks, I will obied by the rules. I'm going to give 24 hours for people to voice objections before begin in earnest.
I must say that it is really refreshing to see a post such as your one. Usually, people that come here saying that they like to make game ideas are very loud about how amazing their ideas are, but don't want to share them "cause someone will still them".

It is very refreshing to see a post such as yours, open to discussion and exchange of ideas. Rate++
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
You might also want to take a look a people who do that already:

Patrick Curry
Sean Howard
You can always find someone to help program your game. I decided to take my friend's idea and use it for my current project.
I really liked reading your post, very refreshing to see such an attitude here! Just as Radan said, I'm more used to people considering every little idea a treasure to be closely guarded. If you haven't seen it yet, the FoRPGpedia is a good example of previous work done in the same area, though focused on RPGs.

Good luck!
I think that sounds wonderful. There have been times where I couldn't come up with a good idea for anything in the world. Someone adding theirs would be really great. And like others have said, it is nice how in your post you don't expound on how indescribably great your ideas are and then tell us that you trademarked, copyrighted and locked your ideas in a safe like so many other people I have seen. Do make sure to include a name we can credit, because I wouldn't want to take your ideas without atleast giving you some credit for your work.

~Cody
i am a programmer but not very creative and can never really come up with original ideas, so this would be great. also as the above poster said make sure to allow for credit to your ideas

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement