Sign in to follow this  

Texture Stages

This topic is 3666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All I am looking at doing some bump mapping, but relized that some triangles in my doom3 map don't use bump mapping, so I need a way of setting texture states for certain triangles, and using a different set for triangles with no bump mapping. Is there a way to save, and restore texture states so a complete map can have different texture states used for different triangles? regards Steve

Are your triangles that are bumped in the same buffer/mesh as the triangles that aren't?

If they aren't, all you need to do is use a Shader that bumps for those that are bumped, and when your ready to call the non-bumped you use a Shader that doesn't bump.

If they are in the same buffer, I'll have to think abit on this one.

Quote:
Original post by sjmarsha
Is there a way to save, and restore texture states so a complete map can have different texture states used for different triangles?

• Set up texture stages for drawing non-bump mapped triangles
  • Render non-bump mapped triangles
  • Set up texture stages for drawing bump mapped triangles
  • Render bump mapped triangles

You don't "save and restore" states, you set them and then render using them.

Quote:
    Original post by Tophurious
    Are your triangles that are bumped in the same buffer/mesh as the triangles that aren't?

If they aren't, all you need to do is use a Shader that bumps for those that are bumped, and when your ready to call the non-bumped you use a Shader that doesn't bump.

If they are in the same buffer, I'll have to think abit on this one.

Hi Tophurious

My Doom3 Engine, loads the whole map into a single buffer, so I wasn't sure what do to, as the 'pdas' level looks like everything changes, and I attend to do bump mapping for some, and not for all.

Where can I find a good shader tutorial about bump mapping shaders, and how they are actaully used, as I am very interested in using these.

ps: Thanks for your help

regards
    Steve

This topic is 3666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.