EP-Curve

Started by
0 comments, last by Vorpy 16 years, 4 months ago
Hi Folks. Please don't flame me, but my Skill in math is not very good :D. I need to implement an EP-Curve. But I want Code that can be reused, so I want to do it smart.. or not so smart, lets see. I have thought of the following: EP = overall EP since level 1 EP_OFFSET = EP needed per level * level. Example: EP_OFFSET = 100 Level 1 -> 2 = 100 EP Level 2 -> 3 = 200 EP Would you do it like this? There is much to calculate everytime the player receives EP. Or would you simply pass a pointer to a big Array to the Method/Class, holding all Values? e.g.: EP_CURVE [] = { 100, 200, 300, 400 }; How are prof. Games doing this? Thanks for assisting me :). Greets
If you say "pls", because it is shorter than "please", I will say "no", because it is shorter than "yes"
http://nightlight2d.de/
Advertisement
Professional games probably handle this in all sorts of ways. It is a trivial problem from a technical standpoint, so trivial that there is almost nothing to reuse (might be a nightmare for game design though). If the values were read into an array from a file then data entry tools and parsing code could be reused.

To use your formulaic method, just track how much EP the player has gotten since their last level, or how much EP they need until their next level. A lot of rpgs tell the player how far they are from the next level every time they get experience.

Many games scale the points you get from performing tasks as the level increases, so that performing easy tasks will result in little or no experience points. If that is done, then the curve should be designed with that in mind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement