Platformer game built in flash

Started by
9 comments, last by PaulCesar 16 years, 4 months ago
Hello. What do you think about this game in terms of play process and any public success, in case there will be more levels? http://games.xenao.com/iceclimber/ Thank you.
Advertisement
really cool!
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
+Technically impressive.
+Controls work.
-Almost zero level design.
Thank you for some feedbacks :)

Despite there is only one small level, which means not much could be done in terms of level design, could you please clarify your point, so i could consider it when building new levels?

Thank you.
I was honestly about to just not post anything, since what I have to say doesent directly involve the game itself. But then I figured, meh, maybe this is the kind of the constructive crits your looking for. See, I never actualy played your game, because I got increasingly bored watching that slow moving progress bar when the game was loading. Really, I watched it for 2 min on a broadband connection and it didnt hit half way yet. Now your server could be slow, in which case this is a very mute point, but its also possible you need some sort of resource management.

I know "2-5" min of waiting for a game to load may not seem like a long time, particularly for downloadable games, but thats not typically the demographic of web game enthusiasts. When there are a million games on the web, you better have rave reviews for someone to sit through a 5 min loading scheme :).
I understand what you mean. However the game is about 1 mb and hosted at USA. Probably i must think about switching to faster hosting. Anyway, thank you for letting me know.
Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
I was honestly about to just not post anything, since what I have to say doesent directly involve the game itself. But then I figured, meh, maybe this is the kind of the constructive crits your looking for. See, I never actualy played your game, because I got increasingly bored watching that slow moving progress bar when the game was loading. Really, I watched it for 2 min on a broadband connection and it didnt hit half way yet. Now your server could be slow, in which case this is a very mute point, but its also possible you need some sort of resource management.

I know "2-5" min of waiting for a game to load may not seem like a long time, particularly for downloadable games, but thats not typically the demographic of web game enthusiasts. When there are a million games on the web, you better have rave reviews for someone to sit through a 5 min loading scheme :).

Game loaded in 7 seconds for me :S

OP: Pretty fun :D
Quote:Original post by Xenao
Thank you for some feedbacks :)

Despite there is only one small level, which means not much could be done in terms of level design, could you please clarify your point, so i could consider it when building new levels?

Thank you.

Okay heres a few points.

Theres to many coins. When the purpose of the game seems to be to get a high score based on the quantity of coins collected, the difference between all the coins and a third of the coins is nothing but "who has more patience". It feels as though above every ground tile theres a coin to match. Perhaps fewer coins, each with a small but clear challenge in order to get it. Whether it be a long jump. A shark to avoid. A bounce off the fisherman's hook to reach. Something to make collecting each coin a challenge in skill, not patience.

Your jump and slide may be very specifically tweaked to the way you want it, but nothing in the level compliments it yet. Perhaps more slide and a longer time for acceleration decreasement while in the air would feel more organic.

I know this game is still extremely early, thus the lack of obstacles. However you may want to look into more of an avoidance game rather than collectathon. Avoiding/defeating enemies that move in interesting patters is much more fun than collecting. When was the last time you heard a game review where "scavenger hunt" was a positive point.

So what you have is a nice engine for your game. Theres no immediate bugs or any thing that smacks me in the face as "off" that respect. Just take some time on designing levels and you've got something interesting.

EDIT-
Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
See, I never actualy played your game, because I got increasingly bored watching that slow moving progress bar when the game was loading. Really, I watched it for 2 min on a broadband connection and it didnt hit half way yet.

Loaded in less than 10 seconds for me.
It's somewhat of silly point, but perhaps you could make the labels in the top left corner read-only ;)

Loading almost instantaneously.
I appreciate your comments, especially JavaMava. There are much things to think about, that encourage me to proceed development.

In this case, what would you like to expect from the game except new levels and graphic?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement