Sign in to follow this  

memory management

This topic is 3666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

is there anything to allocate smaller memory in programming? for ex. we write a programme or game, what could we do to manage memory? in game projects how can we find that our programmes ram necessaries?

Do you mean "What can be done to use less RAM"? And if so, why does it matter? What sort of games are we talking about; large scale things like Crysis, or "simple" games like Tetris?

As for finding out memory requirements, use some memory profiling tools to find the applications peak memory usage (Task manager might do for a very rough guess), and then try out various hardware configs from there. Although generally the OS does a pretty good job of managing memory.

actually i will make a strategy game and will use .bmp format. because of large memory usage of bitmaps i have to know my limits while programming graphics and yes i will have to use less ram but dont know how

Quote:
Original post by emre2345
...and will use .bmp format.

Bad choice. There are several popular formats available that allow lossless compression, .png and .tga for example. While the images will still cost you the same amount of memory, you'll save yourself some filesize and possibly decrease loading times.

Quote:
Original post by emre2345
because of large memory usage of bitmaps i have to know my limits while programming graphics and yes i will have to use less ram but dont know how

Did you run some stress tests already? Is it really a big problem, or do you simply think that it'll be a problem?

If you are planning to use big, unique images, and your target system can't handle them, then it may be time to look into different approaches, such as tile-based systems, where images are re-used multiple times.

This topic is 3666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.