Sign in to follow this  

A simple opinion from you guys...

This topic is 3661 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys... I rebuilt a DX7 game to a better level finally, now, it's time for it to step up to a new DX level... For what I see around, DX10 seems not so stable and established yet, and stepping up to DX9 with incoming DX10 would be just a loss of time... However, the game still can be improved in not-gfx-related stuff... So I was wondering if worth to step up gfx now, and may be having a lot of problems with DX10 as it still buggy, or would it be better to take time to improve code in not-gfx-related stuff, and then step up may be one year later with DX10... Any opinion/advice would be greatly appreciated... tnx Alex

Just because D3D10 is new and shiny doesn't mean you have to use it. D3D9 and D3D9Ex are still first class citizens under Windows Vista.

If you upgrade to D3D10 are you going to use any of the new features? Is there something that D3D10 can do that you can't emulate under D3D9 that is absolutely essential?

Who are your target audience? High end gamers, low end web-gamers? A 7% adoption of D3D10 is fine if you're only targetting the 5% high-end...

Ask yourself these questions and you'll quickly know whether you want v9 or v10.

With regards to stability/"buggyness" of D3D10 I have yet to see anything that suggests this. The documentation and samples are still a bit scarse so it makes it hard to develop for the platform and the IHV's drivers aren't perfect in all counts, but as far as any bugs in the MS delivered code there doesn't appear to be any important ones. WDDM has had a couple of issues, but that sits below D3D10 so its debateable as to whether you can count those...

Quote:
(or OpenGL for the win!!)
You'd trust the Khronos group after they've missed the absolute goldmine of an opportunity MS handed them? Obviously flame wars are bad, but the chatter I'm hearing from the OpenGL crowd is not entirely favourable especially in the area of credibility. ([razz])

Jack

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
You'd trust the Khronos group after they've missed the absolute goldmine of an opportunity MS handed them? Obviously flame wars are bad, but the chatter I'm hearing from the OpenGL crowd is not entirely favourable especially in the area of credibility. ([razz])
I believe I don't get the whole picture but I can get the idea.

Anyway, porting to GL is even worse at the moment since GL3 will be released... uhm... tomorrow. Uh no, wait, next week...

This topic is 3661 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.