Any good DrawPrimitive books?

Started by
4 comments, last by nPawn 24 years, 7 months ago
Hey Nate,

The only books I've seen for Direct3D have been for DX3 or older, which are probably not very useful now. Supposedly LaMothe's next book will cover it, although it's hard to say how well. I've heard there is an Inside Direct3D from Microsoft in the works. I know of a couple of other books being written that will probably cover it, but they won't be available for a while, either.

Advertisement
Inside Direct3D will be released in octobre. But you could also work with the SDK documentation and leave out that sucking ExecuteBuffer stuff. I didn't find anything better than the documentation yet. If you want to learn out of a book, become familiar with D3D by reading the documentation and then buy Inside D3D.

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment

Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de
Ok, thanks for the info, kind of surprising there isn't anything out there already, but i guess writing a book takes time.

I have looked at the example programs and such, but they're terrible for walking you through something, like say i wanted to build a 3d city, or dungeon or something, and want a step by step guide. It's hard to know the processes you need to look at when you haven't worked with 3D before.

I'll keep an eye out for the books mentioned.

It's easier than you might think. I had the biggest problem with initializing anything. There are some books available, but they cover DX3, so don't buy them.

D3D changed completely sind DX5. Before this version, ExecuteBuffers have been used and they have been ugly, really ugly. With the newest versions, only DrawPrimitive-routines are supported and they are much easier to use. So stay away from those old books.

It's the same with Tutorials, don't read anything before DX5, because it's useless for you.

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment

Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de
I'm really familiar with DirectDraw, but i'm getting into Direct3D IM and DrawPrimitive and would like an extensive, fairly up to date book about these. Any suggestions?
"The Awesome Power of Direct3D/DirectX" by Peter J. Kovach, Manning Publications, ISBN: 1-884777-47-3.

This book is updated for DirectX6, and contains a tutorial on D3DRM, a detailed several chapters on D3DIM, and a chapter on DrawPrimitive. It's been more helpful to me than most of what I've found online or in the help files, but it doesn't take the place of \mssdk\doc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement