Sign in to follow this  

Need a gaming PC for 2d game dev? And porting to Mac?

This topic is 3666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey! I have a few questions. Do I need a gaming pc to develop 2D games? I'm pretty sure I don't but I just want to make sure. I want my 2D games to be high resolution (like HD for consoles). So I don't know. I can't afford a gaming pc and all I have now is a Gateway MX6450 laptop. I'm pretty sure that will be fine. What software do you recommend? As far as I know, I'm only going to use a C/C#/C++ (haven't decided) complier, Adobe Photoshop, and a sound editor. And how do you port 2d games to Mac OSX? Is it easy? difficult? I plan on buying a Mac in the near future and I would like to create other apps for that platform. So yeah that's about it. I will start doing research and reading books on game development soon.

I'm working with 2D game programming, and I can tell you for sure that a high-end gaming PC is way overkill for 2D game programming. As for your Mac question... well... I don't use Macs. :)

You don't have to have a gaming grade PC to develop 2D games. But make sure that your video card supports pixel shader v1.1 or higher(to use XNA.)

I'd recommend Visual Studio 2005 for IDE. It is powerful and convenient. And if you're going to use C#, you pretty much have no choice but to use Visual Studio. Visual Studio 2005 does not officially support XNA at this point. You can go download Visual C# 2005 Express and XNA framework for free.

It is probably not a good idea to write your games in C#, if you want them to be cross-platform. I know there's a way to mix C# and OpenGL, but I am not sure you can port those applications into other operating systems. You should rather use C++ with Cross-platform game libraries, such as SDL. Using C++ with SDL is a good place to start.

Quote:
Original post by Escobar4Life
I can't afford a gaming pc and all I have now is a Gateway MX6450 laptop. I'm pretty sure that will be fine.
It's probably fine; once you start building your games and realize they're too slow, then you can think about upgrading.

Personally, I started on a machine where the spec sheet measured kilohertz; I'm sure you're fine.
Quote:
And how do you port 2d games to Mac OSX? Is it easy? difficult? I plan on buying a Mac in the near future and I would like to create other apps for that platform.
It depends on how you develop your title -- sticking to cross-platform libraries such as SDL and OpenGL will obviously make the porting a lot smoother than it would be with XNA or DirectX. But there's still stuff to look out for.

You can develop C# OpenGL apps, and they are portable; but at the moment there's a lot of stress involved setting up the toolset on OS X.

This topic is 3666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.