Sign in to follow this  

Help making a fighting game

This topic is 3664 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just getting into game programming and know very little about it. I want to make a fighting game like street fighter but more along the lines of a side scrolling adventure game. Kinda like Ragnarok Battle Offline. Where can I find information to do this?

Since you don't really care too much about the 3D aspect of things here is where I would start. Assuming you are writting this in C, C++, and DirectX.

- Either get a book on game programing with DirectX 7.0 using Direct Draw.
- Or, Get a book on DirectX 9.0 or higher, Learn how to do basic 3D programming, then look at the GameDev.net tutorial for making 2D games in 3D.

If you use 3D you will basically just be drawing everyting to a single rectangle that is stationary in the view. So 3D is extremely minimal. I hope this gets you on your way to making your game. I love the old school fighter games!

Cool, then just use DirectX 9.0 (free SDK from Microsoft), then look up the part on how to invoke DirectX 7 and DirectDraw. Even though it it 9.0 you can still call all the functions for DirectX 7. That is all 2D programming. No 3D needed :) Hope to see your game soon.

There's also SDL for straight-2D games, SDL has a pretty large following around here, and I'd say it's quite easier than Direct Draw (has a better API), and certainly more popular than Direct Draw around here, plus you can port your applications to other platforms (such as Mac OS X and linux) with little to no extra work with SDL, wheras porting is next to impossible with Direct Draw (the only way i can think of doing this is with Winelib, which may or may not work)

cheers
-Dan

This topic is 3664 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.