Sign in to follow this  

Help for becoming a Level Designer....

This topic is 3667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I would love to become a level designer, for games. I know they have to be fun, so i need to get good at level design and not spend to much time, playing but make basic levels make them fun then make them detailed. Ok, so how do i start? Should i make maps in games i own, hl, hl2, rainbow six... and make a profile site then post my maps on it (with lots of screenshots) to show how i can make maps. Then would i try join one of the games in the help section to get going? Any thing else i should to? Hazza

Quote:
Original post by TwistedGamez
Ok, so how do i start? Should i make maps in games i own, hl, hl2, rainbow six... and make a profile site then post my maps on it (with lots of screenshots) to show how i can make maps.

That's a pretty good idea. I've seen various guys get into the industry by doing just that. Spending their time designing and building levels, getting contacts in the various level-design communities, building a good portfolio, working on some mods...

In other words, go ahead, just get busy. Learn to work with a level-editor and start working out some fun idea's. Then playtest them - ask some friends and enemies to play the map - and listen to the feedback you get, then tweak your levels and repeat the cycle. Eventually you'll get a nice map done. Good luck. :)

Hmmm if I wanted to get into level design, I'd start by making maps for existing games.

Half-Life 2
Unreal Tournament 3
etc.

You'll need lots of skills though :)

Texturing (inc. normal maps, etc.)
Modeling (high and low poly)
Scripting
Design
etc.

Fun job though, making levels.

Quote:
Original post by NightCabbage
You'll need lots of skills though :)

Texturing (inc. normal maps, etc.)
Modeling (high and low poly)
Scripting
Design
etc.

A level-designer creates levels. Not necessarily all the components that go into it. In bigger companies, there are usually dedicated texture artists and modellers and level-design is sometimes divided between environmental artists and scripters. When modding an existing game, you usually have access to all the textures and models that come with the game, so all you need to learn is a level-editor and perhaps a scripting language or method.

Of course, it sure helps if you know something about all these aspects, as it can help you communicate with the specific artists and it gives you a better overall insight. It's also usefull to be able to create a few textures or models now and then, if only for test purposes, but it's not strictly necessary to become a level-designer.

This topic is 3667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.