Sign in to follow this  

Seeking a decent book

This topic is 3662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I posted some time back, but wasn't able to really get into game development due to the university workload. However, now that I've finished (graduated), I actually have free time for looking at this area of design and coding. Some areas are old hat to me, some are brand spanking new, which is why I'm looking for a book which: - Is NOT a graphics, client-server, or data comms textbook. - But deals with networked 3D games. - Has actual working examples to get me started. Any recommendations of books like that would be most welcome. Thanks.

So basically you're just looking for a simple networking book?

Aside from the list of articles and list of books on the site, is there anything in particular you are looking for? Network programming is a very broad topic.

Also, you might get a little better response posting in the network programming forum.

Actually I think the your best bet is to get a book on 3D programming for games. Andre LaMothe has written several. Then look into DirectPlay with DirectX, or get a book on networking.

The odds of you getting a book that has both is slim or maybe not even in existance. Most people build their games with DirectX, XNA or something that abstracts tons of the network stuff into super simple APIs for you to use. I hope this helps you. So you will just have to get a book on 3D games, or two books, one on 3D games and one on network programming or use the MSDN to look into it.

This topic is 3662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.