which is the best alternative

Started by
3 comments, last by Static290 16 years, 4 months ago
If I can't get into college, I'm planning on attending a technical college. Whats the best technical college to get a computer science degree in? Preferabley in richmond, virginia or atlanta, georgia would be ideal. I really am trying to get my GPA up so i can get into college. But what would be a acceptable tech school to get a bachelors degree in computer science, not game development or anything but computer science. Thank you.
Advertisement
I went to highschool in Williamsburg. :P If I were in Virginia, I probably would have applied to Virginia Tech.
I think the best option if you don't get into a 4-year college is to take classes at a local community college to earn credits that will transfer to a 4-year university. I would take all the basics to get them out of the way like your maths (couple semesters of calculus), english, history, sciences (couple semesters of physics at least). If introduction to programming type of classes are offered they are good to have to, but in my experience are less likely to transfer over so you have to be careful to check before hand.

Most community colleges will work with you to make sure your classes will carry over to the local 4-year schools in the area. 2 years worth of credits at a community college is a great bargain and as long as you are careful they should transfer over and you will only be left with ~2 years of upper level classes at a 4-year university for a degree.

Not sure of the community colleges in your area, but the ones around here work closely with the larger 4-year schools to help students out with transferring.
Yea thing is, cost is a big problem, i might not be able to afford a 4 year college, especially because my GPA is not the highest, but I'm a senior now, and i haven't even applied to any colleges. I was thinking of just going to ECPI or ITT tech to get a bachelors in Computer Science, and maybe create a portfolio.

To be honest, this is kind of embarassing but my GPA right now is 2.2, with honors classes, I am pretty sure i can get it up to 2.5 or 2.7, maybe even 3.0 at the end of the year. And then just do coding after and while im in technical school. Because i've missed deadlines, like at Virginia Tech i've missed the deadline for sending in ACT and SAT scores...i was supposed to take the December test. :(

So transferring from a community college to a 4 year college would be pretty hard, especially with cost and everything still

What would be the best technical school to get a computer science degree in? preferably in Richmond, VA because i am a resident there.

Thanks for any advice

I could probably get into a small college like Bryant & Stratton, but they don't even offer a degree in computer science. Only things like information systems and electronic engineering technology. I probably could definitely get into that school, but i really want a Computer Science degree.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement