Sign in to follow this  

Need help with resource management

This topic is 3665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay guys, I've been turning this over in my head a million times and I just can't seem to come up with a solution that I like. I have a game that involves spending resource points on characters, spells, etc to deploy/recruit them. (See my journal for the last rules update - link at the top). So my problem is, how does a player generate the resource points to use in the first place? I have several things I've looked at to get you started, but I want something that is a)easy to understand, b)fair, and c)requires strategy of resource management for the early, middle, and end game 1. Provide a set number at the beginning for the entire game (probably not good since you could just load up on big baddies right at the beginning knowing you'd never have to manage resources in the end-game) 2. Provide a set number at the beginning of each turn (not ideal since I think this should have some kind of curve in the power of things that can be deployed and you may never be able to deploy some things under this model - and maybe you shouldn't be able to?) 3. Provide a set number at the beginning of each turn that increases each turn 4. Allow everything to be played for free as long as you have the required attributes (no strategy in this at all and higher leveled characters will pretty much always win) 5. Occupy special/more spaces on the board to generate more resource points (this sounds good until one person gains the advantage, then it's difficult for the other player to ever catch back up - maybe some effects that reward the underdog for taking risks or having a victory?) I'm sure I've mulled over more than this but it's all I can remember right now. Any help would be appreciated.

I would go with number 5 but make sure that Sections can't be defended that way as long as the 'underdog' is brave they can run in there and secure that section for maybe, a turn? Before the over one took it back, but making sections easy to capture makes the game faster paced and "dangerous" as you may capture 50 sections in one day but you come back tomorrow or next turn and they might have been all taken back, making it a constant fight for power.

Another way of doing this might be that defences for sections may take long to build and in this time frame of getting the section and securing it another player/ai might run in there and capture it back.

Just ideas, Thanks.

number 5 sounds the most fair but i fail to see the problem. The larger a player becomes the more the other players will work together to beat him back. The object of a game is to win. Giving the underdogs advantages for messing up and losing their spaces to a better player just causes games to drag on longer and make games boring.

But it all depends on the game. If its a game where a player using good strategy can defeat a stronger opponent then no advantages are needed. if its a game that is based solely on the number and power of the spells a person can use then when someone becomes stronger and you give advantages to the underdog they will end up becoming more powerful and just end up shifting the advantages before they are defeated and they get the advantages back.

This a board game so two players wouldn't occupy the same space. Think of it as chess except that you never know what other pieces may be coming into play.

There was an underdog concept in a card game I used to play. Basically if a battle was initiated at a location where an opponent had more power than you and you ultimately won the battle, it was more damaging to the opponent. You could accomplish this by playing additional cards that gave you an edge, it was essentially an ambush if done correctly, but then there was no guarantee of victory either.

Some ideas.

1. MTG did this well. A similar system could be employed which people would be familiar with and allows balance between resources and stuff. It also provides a concept of speed/complexity.

2. A fixed number of resources (set per game). If something leaves play, you get its resource cost returned to your pool.

And the tactical points on the board sounds good.

The problem I always had with MTG was mana-hosing. It didn't matter how good a player you were if you had bad luck and got too much/not enough land. I'm trying really hard to eliminate that.

What I'm leaning toward right now is providing a resource point to spend each turn for each location you occupy on the board. This means several things:

1. Because the number of resources you have in your Reserve are finite, you can employ one of 3 strategies:
- play lots of little guys to occupy spaces and generate more resource points (white weenie in MTG)
- try to pack your Reserve with bigger guys that take a little longer to get out but have more punch when they do
- a hybrid of the two

2. You could never generate more than 36 resource points per turn because there are only 37 spaces and your opponent occupies one of them.

I anticipate the following changes to the game in the future which will provide additional strategy and re-playability:
- the ability to destroy an entire space and everything on it
- "objectives" that are alternate win conditions and/or increase resoures/resource points
- larger/more elaborate gameboards that provide more spaces to occupy
- "terrain" for some spaces that provide modifiers
- Characters that generate their own resource points in addition to yours
- Other resources that generate their own resource points (like moxes or the black lotus in MTG)

Does this sound good? Perhaps some of the spaces closer to the center (and thus taking longer to get to) provide more than one point per turn.

This topic is 3665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.