Sign in to follow this  

Making a Game: From Design To Implementation

This topic is 3663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone! First off, I just want to thank all the people who are active and help on this forum. Also, thank you for the wonderfully executed C# workshop. I did most of it and honestly learned a great amount from this site's great mentorship (and great choice of textbook to boot!) Anyway, after going over most of the C# workshop, I decided to make Tetris in XNA and did fairly well :) Also did a small prototype for collision detection on bounding boxes. And now I'm on the road to making a brand new original game, though I would love to get help from anybody who has any experience making games, particularly anybody with experience managing a large amount of code/classes/content. Anyway, I decided the best way to do this was to plan it out. The game will be, in look and feel, very similar to something like Knytt, where the focus is exploration and immersion in a snowy environment. Here is the initial class diagram I made so far: http://picasaweb.google.com/generaltao/GameDiagrams/photo#5139882798919646050 Can somebody (who has made a game before) give me advice on how to plan out the classes or anything? I just don't want to get too far into the game programming to find out I should not have planned this out the way I did. So, I figure the game will draw a map, which is composed of a couple layers, which again is composed of entities. On the map, you can also have "triggers" that could be, say, stand on a location, start a cut-scene/dialog event or something like that. My main challenge I see is how to get the classes to "talk to each other". That probably sounds retarded to all the experienced vets out there, but I'm definitely not confident about it just yet. Does anybody want to provide insight? I'm looking for any feedback at all to help my progress :) Thanks a lot!

This is seriously one of the hardest things in game programming and epically beginning.

I really do not know the answer specifically as because everything can be designed differently, though here is what lots of people will suggest: just design it your way. Really the only way to learn is by trial and error. You try something and when you find out that it won't work you know not to do that anymore. When you have people just telling you the way to do it then you do not learn why the other way is not the best way or why the other way will not work. Though it is not bad at all to ask for help on getting some things started on help on trying to get around a certain pitfall.

I wish you the best of luck!

Okay, thanks Chad :)

Yeah, it really is the truth that language and "programming" is sometimes the easy part, but creating organized solutions from scratch is freaking tough. Well, I definitely will try my own way then, and I'll come back to you guys as I have questions.

This topic is 3663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.