I'm thinking of learning C# first...

Started by
6 comments, last by jbadams 16 years, 4 months ago
...with the tutorials here, and the XNA Game Studio supporting C#. Is it worth it to start out at C#? Will C# translate well to C++ or not?
Advertisement
Everyone here told me to start with python then go on to more complicated languages. But I know only so much. So far python is relativly easy for me. Someone with more experiance could tell you more
[insert quote here]
Programming is 95% how you think and 5% the syntax you write. Learn a language, become proficient with it, and the effort to pick up others will be much reduced. Although each language has its idiosyncrasies, these shouldn't matter from the thinking perspective. C# is a very capable language, especially with XNA, so as long as the syntax looks inviting, go for it!

Is there any particular reason you worry about C# "translating" to C++?
I've personally found that once you first begin learning a programming language there are many aspects of it which are applicable to all languages, and the difference is mainly syntax rather than the actual buildup of code.
I started off learning Java, then C++ and C# simultaniously, and with the basic concepts I learned through Java, it was no problem.
These three languages are quite similar, atleast C# and Java, C++ is a lower level language and follows "with control comes responsibility". I.e: You have to create and remove space by yourself, whereas Java and C# does this for you (garbage-collection).

I'm new to programming, but I would say that making the transition from Java/C++ to C# is easier than the other way around, as C# does more for you, but this is my personal opinion, I'm sure it differs.

Bottom line: Learning any programming language (well, not ANY, ofcourse, but the ones talked about on this forum, for example) will also teach you how programming in itself works, and once you "get it", moving from one language to another isn't hard at all.

C# and Java are both excellent places to start, C# probably even more so, especially in the Visual Studio environment. I'm sure that if you put your heart into it, and really do learn C# then moving to C++ later won't be a problem.
With XNA on the rise, you might not want to, although I'm quite confident C++ will reign supreme in the professional gamedevelopment-business for a long time yet.

Best of luck beginning programming, it's an exciting new world of headaches and cursing, and lots and lots of fun!
Student at NITH, Norway2nd year of Gameprogramming BachelordegreeC++ enthusiast
Should I use visual studio 05 or 08?
XNA currently only supports Visual Studio 2005, so I'd go for that. Visual Studio 2008 is slower, less responsive, and doesn't add anything new that I see worth upgrading for.
Quote:Original post by Exershio
XNA currently only supports Visual Studio 2005, so I'd go for that. Visual Studio 2008 is slower, less responsive, and doesn't add anything new that I see worth upgrading for.
I've found that VS 2008 loads faster, builds faster, and the UI is MORE responsive. WPF (Cider) and LINQ are amazing as well.

C# will be a fine choice, and the knowledge you gain will translate well to C++ programming if you want or need to make the change to that language at a later stage.

The important thing is that you pick a language and stick with it, and either C# or Python are both very popular options these days, so you should have plenty of support.

Quote:Visual Studio 2008 is slower, less responsive,
My experience has been the exact opposite. As XNA is not yet available with the 2008 edition I will however agree with your suggestion that at least for now the 2005 edition may be an appropriate choice for Simpsons4261.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement