Sign in to follow this  

Review a Java Tutorial

This topic is 3665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently creating a site and would like my first Java tutorial to be reviewed, so that any errors or suggestions can be pointed out. All following tutorials will be written in this style and my goal is to keep them as short as possible by breaking them up into smaller tutorials. Java Basics I aim to get the site up by the end of the year.

(1)Change the colors. Note only is that shade of blue painful on the eyes, but it makes the text practically impossible to read.

(2)What's a function? You use the word all over the place, but unless I'm a math/computer person already, I don't know what that is.

(3)You have some information on what to do, but very little information on why to do it. Why am I going through all this trouble of creating a project? What the hell is the JDK?

(4)You give a brief section on code formatting, but no guidelines beyond "this looks better than this."

(5)"public static void..." What's all this craziness? You have it in the code, but you don't mention it anywhere. Are you going to talk about this later? That's OK, but acknowledge this.

(6)IDE? Huh? Wuzzat? Same with this "white space" stuff.

If you're going to write an article covering the basics, keep in mind that your audience is going to be full of beginners. They don't know any of this stuff, and they're going to flounder if you don't give them a bit more information. It's OK to try to keep things simple, but you can't keep it lacking substance. But I applaud the effort.

My plan was to slowly explain everything as the tutorials go on, since things like public static etc will be hard to explain initially, plus I noticed a lot of other tutorials skipped over these in the beggining as well, though I am trying to be different from them.

Thank you for the feedback it has been very helpful. :)

Sign in to follow this