• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PatchesV

Sailing (Revised)

This topic is 3995 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Punk is right, heres the basics. And YES crews would be NPC, any non-captain players on the boat would have free-time or could play mini-games related to sailing to help the ship sail a little bit better or worse depending on how they did. Obviously if you had an all player crew you'd get a major advantage but it's highly unlikely to get a full crew of people cause they'd get sick of mini-games real quick. The mini-games wouldn't just be tetris or something like that, it'd be things closely related to tasks of an actual sailor. The east-indiamen, the frigate, and the galleon should be ignored because they couldn't do much maneuvering so i need things that you could do with a 30-60 foot ship. These aren't all the ships but here's enough for you to get a basic idea. Sloop- Single masted with a bowsprit, triangular sails, about 30-50 feet long. Shallow draft so they can go places other ships can't Corvette- "Sloop of War", slightly bigger sloop with 2 masts. Brig- Two masted ship, about 60 feet long and square rigged. slightly deeper draft than the sloop and corvette Galleon- Those ginormous spanish galleons, huge with a sloping deck and a central weight line. Three masted and square rigged. Mainly for transporting goods. Fairly deep draft. Usually around 100 feet long. Frigate- A mid sized man-o-war with a lot of boom, square rigging and up to 100 feet long depending on the ship. East Indiamen- These are the biggies, about 150 feet long, 3 masts and a 74 gun armament, MAJOR merchant transport vessel and every pirate's dream catch. deep draft and square rigged. Drakkar and Knarr- Two viking ships with one big square sail and about 26 meters long and no firepower. The Knarr was the cargo ship. They had the advantage of also being an oar-propelled craft so they could still move in little or no wind. They weren't meant for naval combat but for raiding villages and because of their shallow draft they could go down rivers as well. So far here's what I'm thinking from what people have said and research: Wind Sense- at lower levels you'd have a range of what way the wind could be going, not too vague but not precise enough to maximize speed if your on the run either. Navigation- Rather then being a dot on a map it's a circle, you could be anywhere in the circle. As you get to a higher level the circle shrinks. Trimming- In the beginning all trimming must be done by you. Later on slight trimming will be done for you so you don't have to worry about it AS MUCH, it would still play a roll. I still need suggestions!!!!! [Edited by - PatchesV on December 6, 2007 11:24:50 PM]

Advertisement
Maybe some sort of sense of the wind your player has; an increase in skills leads to a better ability. As for multiplayer crew on the same boat unless you're doing a combat game you are S.O.L. as near as I can tell.

You should check out Puzzle Pirates. Its free MMO-Puzzle Game, and its great. Maybe you aren't doing a puzzle game, but it might give you some ideas for different jobs on the ship.

Hey There,

I sail at an instructor level and I tended to notice as I personally got better I could use my body weight to control the ship's hull, there by increasing the speed in which I could go with out capping, also the more I practised the sharper my corners were because at the start of sailing, I fell in, a lot, my corners were long and drawn out and sometimes I would get stuck half in a turn (caught head to wind) and would spend hours trying to get out of it.

Another fun thing I can now do is pull the sail in real tight, lean out as the wind pulled the boat nearly onto it's side, I controlled my weight in such a way that I was standing basically on my hull, we called it "the edge"

Also as I got better when I did capsize (because the inside of my boat needed a clean) I didn't get wet as I climbed over to the dagger board quickly to avoid the needless getting wet.

Of course, sailing is different on the open sea, a river or a lake, make sure you know where your players will be sailing and what the conditions should be like.

If I’m using terms that you don't understand, you might want to contact me otherwise your boat game or boat feature will be inaccurate, and who wants that? No one....

If you want to people on a boat, the other crewmen must be constantly keeping balance, waves, tides, wind-gusts and of course changing sides when the boat turns all put the boat off balance, and if its a big boat, going very fast, you need that crewmen to be able to keep the balance.

Cheers.

What kind of sailing are we dealing with here? A square-sailed brigantine? A simple sloop-rigged keelboat? Sailing is frickin' sweet, but there's a lot going on, and it takes a lot to model it well. The little tidbits of proficiency that Punk described would be a great way to differentiate an excellent sailor from a novice one without adding features or "superpowers" as the player advances.

Just improving performance might be enough, but you mentioned that you don't just want stat boosts, so how about having all the abilities available from the get-go, but requiring your character to level up to do them reliably and well? For instance, Punk mentioned standing on the edge of his boat. In your "position in cockpit" controls, have a continuum for moving laterally. As the boat heels to starboard, you move farther and farther to port to control it, and when you move out past the actual boat, your character leans, then puts a foot up, and finally stands on the edge. A low-skill character in that situation will be pitched into the drink if you hit a wave or go through someone's wake, but an elite sailor can hop up there in any conditions, always pushing the craft to the limit of its capabilities.

As a crewman, trimming the jib can be a good minigame. Always watching the telltales and adjusting tension on the sheet could be a simple task that offers rewards for vigilance and has a measurable impact on the performance of the boat. Good communication, efficient tacking, etc. can all add to the overall awesomeness of sailing.

As others have said, it all depends on what level of simulation/arcade you have in there.

I trained sailing actively for 4 years, and still sail over the summer whenever I get the chance and trust me, If you're going the simulation route, there is a whole lot going on in sailing. The amount of information that you need to process if you're trying to sail competitively is enormous. That is why on America's Cup teams there is a person on the team who's sole job, to put is simply, is to decide when to tack, and he is carrying a lot of responsibility for the teams success.

If you need specifics just ask there seem to be quite a few people on this board that sail, on various levels, and can think in game developing terms as well.

Am I the only one who would trade all the guns and tanks in Crysis for a chance to build a marina on that island? Seriously, there should be some kind of sailing video game out there. It's got so much potential. I think the community may have over-reacted to the limited info in that first post.

My parkour fantasy has been fulfilled quite well by Assassin's Creed, so now all I need is for someone to do an equally good of capturing sailing and bird flight in a game.

You could make a game where you pick different birds to fly as and have a constantly updated google map type ground so you could fly over your own house if you wanted. Birds of prey would be really fun.

Alright I fear I was not specific enough, this sailing is part of an MMORPG (don't comment, I've heard it all and I promise you won't say anything new) And opefully going to be a very detailed system. The game is late medieval so cannons and guns are just being invented and EXTEREMELY rare. What I need to know is more maneuvers ,like the whole riding on the hull of your boat, that only more experienced sailors can do, but also can be done with an east-indiamen. I need some that can be done with any sized sailing ship, a and a few that can only be done with the smaller ones. Special feats for the big ones are going to be more canon-fire and defense based and I can handle those.

So tell me, you're all sailors, what can experienced sailors do with any-sized ship that could be constituted as a "Special" move.

Little tidbit here,... the Late Medieval period is when Cannons started to become 'common' in warfare, and most armies would have some. They were introduced in the early medieval period and gained popularity as we got better at making them and controling prowder production. Guns developed along side plate armour, and it was a change in how battles were faught that rendered heavy armour useless more so than guns punching through them.

On topic, getting things in Sync could be hard if you have different people using twich based controls on a network, and you would have to deal with that. A single person that gets better at their balance and control of the ship may be easier to do and have fun than several people working together.

At the very least, allow one person to pilot the ship with an AI crew doing the other things, and let if be so if you get multiple human players working together there is a good chance they can work better than a single player of similar skill. Just make sure that mulitple players are not required for any ship.

Another good option for other players being on one player's ship is for use as boarding parties. They're not there to do anything on the ship really, but sit around, talk, maybe include ingame dice or cards if they get bored, (no pun intended), then provide major power boosts in combat when they get to where they're going.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!