Sign in to follow this  

[.net] C# Code Generator

This topic is 3658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am about to start writing an application using .NET Framework and SQL Server as the database manager. Even though I am an experienced developer, I would like to spend as less time as possible developing SQL stored procedures and the data access layer. I think that I should use a code generator that can assist me. As I have not yet used any C# code generator, I would rely on your experience and suggestions. Your recommendation will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance! [Edited by - james_miller on March 15, 2009 2:32:27 PM]

There are a number of commercial offerings but I have used an xml definition of data-types and generate data-access layer, sql, marshalling code to/from other languages, serialisation, test harnesses, documentation etc with xslt for many projects.

Xslt makes hard jobs easy but sadly makes some easy ones quite hard. Its essentially a functional language thats excellent at a data-relations but poor at more mundane things like string processing so I use javascript functions inside xslt templates for more procedural things. Xslt is not too hot on whitespace either. To get correctly formatted code you have to add ugly <xsl:text> tags.

On the up-side, functional programming is rewarding (although tough some times) and you definitely want to go the route of a template language. The xml data definition as source data is an obvious choice and the natural processor of it is xslt. It has more benefits than drawbacks.

W3 schools has good tutorials on xslt and xpath.

I'd be interested to know what you choose.

Hi,

I would suggest to visit Tech-IS’s web site (http://www.techinceptions.com). Their C# code generator product (OxyGen Code) is available for download at the following URL: http://www.techinceptions.com/codegenerator.html. A friend of mine referred it to me a few days ago and after generating some sample code against our SQL Server databases, I decided to present it to my co-workers. Hope this will help you too.

You could listen to http://www.hanselminutes.com/default.aspx?showID=20 , although he is sponsored by one of the alternatives the podcast gives a general overview of what is out there.

This topic is 3658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.