freezing effect

Started by
4 comments, last by DpakoH 16 years, 4 months ago
hi guys, remember the movie "the day after tomorrow" and its cool effects of freezing whole buildings . so i want to create something similar . but i cant really find good sources of information for this effect. can anyone help me with some theory ? best, yani
Advertisement
I'm just going to speak for everyone (which isn't good), but we have no idea wtf ur talking about. First you need to show a picture or video of it.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Quote:Original post by dpadam450
I'm just going to speak for everyone (which isn't good), but we have no idea wtf ur talking about.
Hm, that may be a little harsh :)

@The OP: Here's the first thing that springs to mind. After rendering the building, re-render it, except scaled up a bit (this assumes your building model is centered in local space, such that the scaled-up version encloses the original version symmetrically).

For this second rendering pass, use alpha blending and an ice texture. Use the vertex colors for the alpha value (not the texture itself), and then interpolate the vertex alpha values from 0 to 1 over some time period.

Note that this will have the effect of 'freezing' the building all at once; creating a 'progressive' freeze effect would probably require a more sophisticated approach.

I did something like this for a 'freeze' powerup in a project I was working on (but, alas, haven't finished yet), and it looked pretty good.
Or you could have an extremely complicated method of stretching the 'ice' vertecis in a smooth pattern until it hits the top.
Holy crap, you can read!
You can use an ice texture with a mask going from the bottom to the top of the building. You just have to animate the UV of the mask.
See here:
tutorial to do the effect you want (for blender, but it can be done using OpenGL)
hi again,

@dpadam450 : hmm , u r right , i just thought that all of you have seen a clip/movie explaining the special effects used in "the day after tomorrow" :) but i guess i wasnt right, and what is most frustrating i couldnt find this clip on the inet.

@all the others : thx for the replies , u gave me some interesting ideas . Hope i will be able to finish this project and show u some screenshots.

best,
yani

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement