Sign in to follow this  

Of UIs and placement

This topic is 3660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I'm in the middle of developing the UI system of my engine and I need some feedback. Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us (Yeah, I really need some textures) As it stands I can place UIs in the scenegraph and they appear correctly. They are prerendered with their internal resolutions (similar to Doom 3, the one in the image is first rendered in 240x80 and then applied). All the widgets have 9 "hooks" in the corners, sides and middle so it's resolution independent. But I'm having troubles when I want a fullscreen UI. I've considered several options: 1. Place the UI in front of the camera. Not really an option. There are issues with widescreen displays or even changing the fov. Also remains the problem of losing the UI if you change to a different camera. 2. Have a boolean indicating the UI needs to be drawn fullscreen. Not too elegant. Why should it exist in the scene graph then? 3. Change the concept of rendering. I mean, instead of drawing the UI in front of the scene, change it so that there's a main UI and nothing else. This UI would then include widgets for camera feeds. This would allow interesting effects such as split-screen or PiP, but I think it's overkill. So, what do you think?

#2 can be extended to a common priority value, which can be used to render objects based on their priority.
That way, you don't need to have a single UI, but, of course, a common priority value must be used with caution to maintain a easily editable scene/world.

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Yikes! Why would your UI be in the scene graph? The UI is not part of the scene.

I did so that I could have consoles, monitor screens, etc. like in Doom 3/Quake 4. That's how I thought it could be implemented. [sad] The point is that it's not just one UI, but many small ones.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Then make it possible to have a node in a scene graph which has a UI. That doesn't mean that a UI has to be part of the scene graph.

Quote:
Original post by Gaenor
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Yikes! Why would your UI be in the scene graph? The UI is not part of the scene.

I did so that I could have consoles, monitor screens, etc. like in Doom 3/Quake 4. That's how I thought it could be implemented. [sad] The point is that it's not just one UI, but many small ones.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

You're propbably better off just changing the render target for things like that and rendering what you want to be displayed on the texture for the screens. Its how I've done things like that in the past.

This topic is 3660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.