Big landscapes in online games

Started by
18 comments, last by lordcorm 16 years, 4 months ago
The servers that run these things are pretty beefy. They can handle tracking 10,000 players, informing them, updating them, etc, without a problem. Remember that they don't need to spend any time doing things like rendering, they only need to keep pushing data to and from the network.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
But we have not a card game where handling 10000 players is easy for computers... And I have a server where only 366 MHz, 128 RAM (a part of server) - because it's cheaper. So in my game if there are 10000 players it means that every second there's about 50 jumps to other locations, 200 move commands... And if to add some logic (like weather, threads for restoring human life, bots etc.) it won't be so easy...
VATCHENKO.COM
Seriously, it's not that big a deal. Moving from one node to another is an instant operation on the server, and it just means that when you next do the distance checks during the updates, you'll be looping through a slightly different subset than before. The subset will still be small and you still only need to send updates to a small number of people. If you remember who you sent updates to last time, you can send a 'no longer visible' update to anybody on the previous list who's not on the current list. And that's it, really.

Of course, you started off asking how "online games" do it, and then went on to say that you only have a 366MHz system to do it with... well, you can't expect to easily emulate professional games when you have only 10% of the processor power available. But I still don't think it's as difficult as you believe.
As superpig said, these places have some serious hardware, and growing games like World of Warcraft are constantly upgrading to keep pace with additional players. Each "server" is undoubtedly comprised of many, many machines acting as a server cluster.

I'm just taking a wild stab here, but I'm guessing managing internet bandwidth is a lot bigger of a problem than processing all of the different stuff in the game world.
Yesterday I began to calculate... I draw the field of 16 locations (4x4). Imagine that in every location there are 30 players moving. If I use magic bubble technique, I need to recalculate my "visible" neighbours. So for all the game I need to do it 50 times per second. What to do every second? Need to find players in some area... For example we foud 30, compare with existing player's list (OLD VISIBLE PLAYERS, len = 30 too) means that we need to make 30x30 comparsions (I have to tell to every player what players appeared in his view). So 900 comparsions, 50 times per second. You laughed at my computer configuration, but I wanna know the optimal techniques... Because if to implement this way, I need about 4 powerful computers to handle area of 16 locations and 480 players.
VATCHENKO.COM
There are various data structures you can use to speed up the search (for example, Red-Black trees), but I think you're massively, massively overestimating how slow this is.

Try implementing it as a prototype - just a quick and dirty simulation of player updates. Make them move around randomly and see just how slow it is to update all the information.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I tried to calculate my method (to see 9 locations and inform everybody in them). I cross every location in 2 minutes, so for 480 players it's about 5 times per second (inform 180 players - just to loop in 4 array). On every move I need to inform 9 locations or 270 people. It's all VS 50 times per seconds (900 comparsions or some binary tree) in magic bubble method.
VATCHENKO.COM
You don't update on every move. Internet latency is 250ms, add 10% buffer zone to the area of interest, factor in player's movement speed, and you'll end up with needing to recalculate every 1-15 seconds.

Real-time here doesn't mean milliseconds, and you'll need to compensate for latency anyway, probably providing state synchronization for several seconds in the past.

So updating AOI once every 10 seconds for a reasonable range is probably enough. Note that once you establish interest subscriptions, finding out when someone moves out of range is very cheap - just check for subscriptions to a given object.

By far the most costly process of this will likely be serialization - but since not everything changes on every step, or you send only delta states, you can cache plenty of state information, making sending new information to a plater a relatively cheap process.

Quote:And I have a server where only 366 MHz, 128 RAM (a part of server)

With all due respect - MMOs do not run on pre-historic hardware.

If you're thinking about 10k users (WoW does 3-5k per server, distributed over several machines), you might need to invest into a bit stronger hardware.

The typical load per machine is usually in the hundreds range.
Every move I mean some big change of position (walked 10 meters), or after some time walking (every 10 seconds).
VATCHENKO.COM
What you will want to do to save bandwidth is to use some sort of server-side client manager that is like a scene manager on the client side.

AKA smap, speed tree, ect...

So what you will do is create a very big array for your world, and devide that world up into cells, so lets say you world is 100000m (meters) long by 100000m wide, and you want cells that are 20 meters big.

so you would go 100000/40 then you would get how many cells wide and long.

Then after that you would make an array that size, after that you would have the client send you an update packet on its position then you would take its position and then find the cell that he is contained in.

so it would be like this:

|o|o| | | | | |
---------------
|x|0| | | | | |
---------------
|0|0| | | | | |

Where "x" would equal your character, then you would get the cells around him that are marked with "o" and load everything in those cells, just make sure when you do it to make it as memory effective and cpu effective as possible, and watch for memory leaks, because you will be allocating and deleteing alot of memory.

BTW, thats just one method, there are many many many other methods.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement