Sign in to follow this  

D3D Camera systems

This topic is 3665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I've searched the net long and hard and have come up blanks. I am making a camera class in Direct X (using C++ with Visio 2005) and I am having trouble. I would really like a really good, but not too complicated, camera tutorial or something of the like. If one already exists in DirectX, can someone tell me how I access it and use it? Thanks a lot.

Hey, how's it going?

Camera systems are definitley tricky to get your head round the first time you try and write one, so don't worry! What bits specifically are you having trouble with? I'm sure we'd be happy to help you on here - just let us know what bit you're stuck on (even if it's something like 'I don't even know where to begin').

Hi there once more!

Okay, to elaborate on my problem. I know about matrix transformations (at least, I understand how it works), and about the up vector, lookat vector and eye vector. I've also seem 3d camera systems before, and I sort of have a loose understanding of how they work, but the main problems are these:

Each mouse cycle, I get a new relative mouse position. How can I map this to the lookat vector so as I am looking with the mouse (first person style).

When looking down the Z axis, moving forward, backward and strafing are easy, but it becomes a new problem when the lookat vector changes (as in with a mouse). I know there non too complex ways of moving up and down the strafe axis (cross product up and look) using sine and cosine, but I just can't remember how. Also, when using DirectX, I tend to end up just rotating the models rather than the camera (I know that's how a camera works, but it doesn't look right, maybe I'm just rotating the wrong direction).

You'd have thought with all that, I would have found a decent tutorial on the matter... but hey hum.

Thanks in advance.

This topic is 3665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.