Help me choosing the right books

Started by
1 comment, last by Poro 16 years, 4 months ago
Hello! First of all, I am new here so hello to everyone. I've been learning C++ lately, since I would like to be able to code games someday. I already have this book called plainly "C++". It is wrote by Jesse Liberty and published in 1999. I did read the book quite much, but it has some old information in it. For example Cout does not work in way the book has it coded, so I am in need of new books. I thought about buying a book about C++ and a book about DirectX. I would greatly appreciate any help choosing the right books. The C++ book I've been thinking about buying is this: http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=379&CategoryID=19 It has only very good reviews and it is wrote in 2004, so I would believe it is up to date. It is also wrote especially for beginners and game development in mind so I thought this would be a very good choice. This book is also avaible in Finland, where I live. I am not so sure about the DirectX book so I would need especially some help with this one. I was thinking about DirectX 9 book as I do not have Vista and I would like to use the most current version. So I would appreciate some recommendations of good DirectX books. Hopefully there is not very many nasty typos. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
I think your choice of book for C++ should be ok I'm reading the OpenGL version and they defiantly stick to the official standards so any code in the book should be compatible with any compiler. As for DirextX there is one written by the same people cover looks just the same I'd recommend that you'll be used to the way the author teaches by the time you read that. The only downside is you'll only be seeing one persons opinion of how to write good code.

the Book I recommended for DirectX have a look at it you can even read a small amount of the text use this function of amazon to decide which book you find easiest to follow.

You can always use online resource to reinforce and check if the book is accurate I recommend this one.
Hmm... That book you recommended has only got 3,5 out of 5 in a review here at the gamedev.net. I think I am going to buy it anyway, since it only had some typos in examples. Thanks for the help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement