C++ beginner

Started by
16 comments, last by biggjoee5790 16 years, 4 months ago
Hi everyone. I began learning python about a year ago but for some reason i just stopped learning all together after a few weeks. Its not because I lost interest but more because of my spare time. Well now Ive decided to commit myself to learning to program because of my love of video games. This time around I really think I wanna go the C++ route. Im starting college in september and I am going to be Pre-med, but im sure that I wanna major in Computer science so Id love to get a head start in programming. Can anyone suggest the best compilers i should use, also the best possible material from which I can learn C++, whether it be online lessons or books.Also tell me everything I will need on my computer in order to write and run C++ code. Keep in mind im starting pretty much from scratch because I never got too far into Python so I need to learn from the bottom.. thank you
Advertisement
I personally recommend using Visual C++ Express 2008(It's free!) and one of those "how to program in C++" books by Deitel. Again, it's just my personal recommendation.
I recommend the book "Beginning C++ Game Programming" by Michael Dawson. I taught myself C++ using only that book and the internet. It's an awesome book for people just starting out, plus I use it as a reference book all the time to make sure I have a specific type of syntax right.
whats the difference between express and regular, because I know the regular version is a few hundred dollars. I was lookin at Dev C++ but id rather have the microsoft program if its free and has everything I need. Also I was looking at the book, C++ Primer 4th edition. I was wondering if anyone who knows about it recommends it to a beginner like me
The Express editions do not support all of the features in the full versions. There are differences between the 2008 and 2005 uh.. differences, but for the most part they are the same. There is a comparison chart available here. I know that the express edition of Visual C++ now allows you to install the 'platform sdk' at the same time as the IDE instead of separately.

Basically, for beginners and a large number of amateur developers it is incredibly unlikely that they will need any of the functionality not present in the express editions.

There are no license restrictions placed on users of the Express Editions (at least, not more than the other editions). You can sell your software as you please.

You DO NOT want devc++. If you don't want the microsoft compilers use Code::Blocks or even wxDevC++ (an offshoot of the defunct devc++).

Also, unless you really insist on wanting to 'start' with c++, I would suggest C# instead. Or find out what language your chosen college uses and Pick A Different One. You've almost 10 months until school so you should be able to get a good amount of knowledge on programming concepts. But it's also good to learn more than one language so if your school 'introduces' you to C# then picking (C++, Python, Java, Lisp, Ruby, Haskell, Lisp, Prolog, Smalltalk, Ada, Cobol, assembly, brainf*ck, machine language, etc) to learn now you will you broaden your horizons sooner rather than later. After all, it's the concepts that are important, not the syntax.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Well as far as college goes I have no idea where Im going so Im not going to build my learning around that. I just want to be pointed in the right direction to learn how to program in C++ from the ground up. Im completely new with only very minimal knowledge of programming... I mean very little knowledge. I remember some basics of Python but thats it. I want to learn how to program in C++ with the hope of eventually creating games with it. Of course I know that games are a completely different evil and I need to be able to create simple console programs first. So please give me any advice on how I should go about learning this stuff.
Well i downloaded visual c++ 2008 express and watched the tutorial on how to use it. Its alot more complicated that my old Python IDE but i guess the added functions will help when I become more advanced. So now can anyone recommend online or book resourses that can teach me how to program in C++. I need something aimed at a beginner who is learning C++ as a first language. Any help would be greatly appreciated because Id like to start learning as soon as possible
Take a look at my new improved signature. Last updated: Probably over two years ago.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Many will hesitate to direct you to a tutorial simply because there is no substitute for a decent book.

Tutorials often have the flaw that they only show you one solution to the given problem, and then you fall into the "there is only one way of solving this, and if I can't solve it this way then there's nothing to do about it"-pit, which many programmers struggle to get out of once they move on.

There are TONS of books on C++, but one of the most popular one moves at a very fast pace. 'Everyone' says their current book is great, and my great fear of not being mainstream leads me to post this link:
http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0136152503,00.html

This is what I've been using this semester, and I find it a very thorough and complete introduction to C++, and it also has a nice extra addition of gameprogramming with the Ogre library.

It is expencive, but in my eyes worth it if you really want to follow this path.

Best of luck. :)
Student at NITH, Norway2nd year of Gameprogramming BachelordegreeC++ enthusiast
I strongly suggest that you stick with Python. You will go a lot farther in the next 10 months learning Python than you will learning C++. You can write games in Python.

Forgive my ignorance, I know nothing about pre-med. I am curious. What do computer science and video games have to do with pre-med? Is computer science a normal thing to do for pre-med?
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement