Sign in to follow this  

Good Model Editors

This topic is 3662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I've been having a lot of trouble with Misfit Model 3D lately, and so I'm looking for an alternative. The models in the game I'm developing are all in OBJ format so a replacement editor needs OBJ support, the ability to set texture coordinates, and the ability to automatically calculate vertex normals. The simpler the better, but at this point I'll try out just about anything.

Try Blender, Milkshape, Lightwave.

Blender is not very friendly to new users, but is unrivalled in power amongst the free 3D modelling and animation packages.

Milkshape I could never get into, but a lot of people like it.

Lightwave was, last I checked, a commercial alternative, but I know lots of people who swear by it, and I think there's an old version of it available for free somewhere. You might have to check The Internet Archive for that, though.

As I've just mentioned in another thread, take a look at Truespace3D.

Excellent for new users, very basic to use, yet powerful enough to use for professional movies and even photorealism if you so wish.

They also release old versions for free, last I checked they had 3.2 up for grabs. They also do a special Gamespace edition, solely for games modeling.

http://www.download.com/TrueSpace/3000-2186_4-10298420.html

Blender can be rather unpleasant at the outset - if you want to have another shot at it, perhaps try this Wikibook as a starting point (I believe that one of the earlier sections covers the Blender interface). It really can be a good program once you get used to the interface, or at least so I've thus far found.

There is Wings3D, which I found to be rather simpler, but I suspect from what you've said that its UV-mapping features will not provide the functionality that you're looking for. It is free, at least.

Quote:
Original post by medevilenemy
I've tried blender, and I've found it frustratingly non-intuitive. The simpler, the better (and the free-er the better)

no dont use blender. Its data structure is unstable as a bitch. If you got the cash, heres a quick app that might give you some aid

http://www.uvmapper.com/

Good luck.

Quote:
Original post by medevilenemy
I've installed it, but everytime I try to run it... nothing happens. I'm running windows Vista Business edition. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm sorry I've had little experience with Vista.

There should be a setup tool wit it to change rendering settings, etc. Have a play around with that.

This topic is 3662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.