Status Changes for my Action/RPG (Revised)

Started by
51 comments, last by LmT 16 years, 4 months ago
Heres a full list of status changes I plan on implementing in my action/RPG. Despite the number of status changes that lower attribute scores, attributes will never go below 1, thus you can not die from attribute altering status changes. If you can think of any others or have any ideas for changes, please let me know: -Drunk: Drinking will increase constitution at the loss of intellect, dexterity, wisdom, perception, and charisma. If you drink too much your character will become drunk, the screen will become wavy and distorted and the screen will sway from left to right. Any text that you type will become “slurred” by replacing some letters with others. Combine with the deductions from the alcohol in the first place it will be a major disadvantage -Confused: All movement and look commands will be swapped; forward will be backward, strafe-left will strafe-right, if you move your mouse left you look right, move your mouse up and you look down, and vice-versa. -Hungry: If your hunger bar goes below 100 your character will become hungry, this will subtract one from all attributes and thus, all skills. Once hunger goes below 25, your character will have another 1 point deducted from all attributes. At 0, health is lost at 5 times the rate that your hunger bar goes down. Once you eat, these effects go away. -Thirsty: If your thirst bar goes below 100 your character will become thirsty, this will subtract one from all attributes and thus, all skills. Once thirst goes below 25, your character will have another 1 point deducted from all attributes. At 0, health is lost at 10 times the rate that your thirst bar goes down. Once you eat, these effects go away. -Sleepy: If your character’s sleep bar goes below 50 he will become sleepy. Being sleepy will make your character unable to jump, sprint, or do any other kind of strenuous activity. It will also subtract 1 from all attributes. -Enraged: Enraged will subtract one from intellect, wisdom, and perception in exchange for a plus 1 gain in constitution and strength. -Crippled: If a leg is crippled your character will limp (walk) and can’t move any faster. If an arm is crippled you can not use that arm for anything. To fix this you must seek out a physician or someone who has the “Fix Injury” spell. Either way, fixing the injury will deal 20 damage so make sure you have more than 20 life. -Concussed: Being concussed will subtract one from all attributes and make the screen fuzzy, it will fade after a period of time. -Cold: Cold will affect all attributes and thus affect skills as well, depending on the temperature 1, 2 or 3 points will be subtracted from all attributes. If you are in a cold area long enough, your character will develop cold resistance and cold effects will be reduced by 1. Certain clothes and armor will reduce cold effects. -Hot: Heat will affect all attributes and thus affect skills as well, depending on the temperature 1 or 2 points will be subtracted from all attributes and your thirst bar will lower quicker. If you are in a hot area long enough, your character will develop hot resistance and hot effects will be reduced by 1. Wearing less clothes or armor will reduce heat effects. -Blinded: Being blinded will extremely distort the screen. -Focused(attribute): Being focused will add 1 to whichever attribute the ability/spell is linked to. -Sprinting: Sprinting will make your character move 3 times as fast as jogging (regular movement. -Hidden: This indicates that no one can see you at this time. -Invisible: You are un-noticeable, this will never last very long. -Disguised: Guards will not be able to recognize you unless you sprint or get close to them. -Suffocating: Sleep bar quickly drains fallowed by being knocked out. Once sleep is gone and your character is knocked out, health starts to drain. -Slowed: Your character can only walk -Knocked Down: Your character can roll to either side by double tapping left or right but you need to stand up to do anything else, to stand up push “forward” -Knocked Out: Your character is knocked down and can not roll for a certain time. -Quickened: All speeds are doubled, attack speed is increased by 25% -Poisoned: Your character slowly looses heath and doesn’t regenerate. The total amount of health lost and speed at which it is lost will vary. -Paralyzed: Your character is frozen in position. -Immobilized: Your character can’t move -Encumbered: Your character is over their carrying capacity and can only walk. -Over-Encumbered: Your character is over their carrying capacity by 10 or more and can’t move -Disoriented: Imaginary enemies will start appearing and attacking you for 0 damage every time. However your health bar will lower (hovering over it will reveal your true health) and the enemies will continue to appear as you dispatch them. (If you continue to take a drug that causes disoriented and kill all the imaginary enemies there might be a little reward at the end. It would more be a joke than anything serious and the item might be a wand able to make someone else disoriented for a short time.) -Diseases: Diseases will have different affects and will be rather rare. You will have to visit an apothecary to get the right potion for them. Some will be extremely rare and you will come across them only once or twice in a year, others will be common. The rarer the disease, the better the alchemist needed. A disease will be titled "Disease(?)" until you visit a hospital and get it "diagnosed" (instant upon entering hospital), from there you can find the right potion to cure the disease. Many diseases will require regular doses at certain intervals to cure. IF YOU WANT TO POST PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE READ THIS: -Keep posts on-topic. -Say what it is that is wrong or should be added. -If something is wrong, say how you would correct it without just canning it. -Why this new system will work better than the one currently up there. -If you want to know how I'm going to be working one of these, please just PM me and ask, I won't bite. -DON'T just say that something should be canned, that can be done in testing if something doesn't work. For now lets focus on things that COULD be in the game. Happy posting, please fallow the above rules to posting. [Edited by - PatchesV on December 6, 2007 11:33:09 PM]
Advertisement
Quote:Hungry: If your hunger bar goes below 100 your character will become hungry, this will subtract one from all attributes and thus, all skills. Once hunger goes below 25, your character will have another 1 point deducted from all attributes. At 0, health is lost at 5 times the rate that your hunger bar goes down. Once you eat, these effects go away.

Thirsty: If your thirst bar goes below 100 your character will become thirsty, this will subtract one from all attributes and thus, all skills. Once thirst goes below 25, your character will have another 1 point deducted from all attributes. At 0, health is lost at 10 times the rate that your thirst bar goes down. Once you eat, these effects go away.

Sleepy: If your character’s sleep bar goes below 50 he will become sleepy. Being sleepy will make your character unable to jump, sprint, or do any other kind of strenuous activity. It will also subtract 1 from all attributes.

Crippled: If a leg is crippled your character will limp (walk) and can’t move any faster. If an arm is crippled you can not use that arm for anything. To fix this you must seek out a physician or someone who has the “Fix Injury” spell. Either way, fixing the injury will deal 20 damage so make sure you have more than 20 life.

Over-Encumbered: Your character is over their carrying capacity by 10 or more and can’t move

Maybe I'm just not seeing your vision, but this does not look fun at all.
James Dee FinicalDesigner
Is this single or multiplayer? MMO?

How are you going to handle hunger? Will my guy have to pack a lunch (basically), and then stop every few hours to sit and eat some of it? Will he eat it automatically without my handling this? If the game is an MMO, and I save and end my session, will I reload it and find my character is now starving (to the detriment of all his attributes)? How will it handle hunger with that time lapse?
Haha, I'd really rather not go into all of this, I had a feeling people would react this way but I'm looking for realism in this game. These things seem like a lot of work to avoid but would come into play rarely.
Shadows Over Riva had some of those things. You would have food in your inventory, and the characters would eat automaticly. You also had water, and they would drink when they got thirsty. If you didn't eat/drink (that is, if you ran out of food), you would get some disease.

This barely affected gameplay at all however, since you pretty much always stopped by at inns every night (unless you had a torch, it was nearly impossible to see anything at night) to eat and sleep.

You might want to check it out if you have a system capable of running dos games.. Possibly the best game I've ever played really.
Seems okay to me. I personally like the hunger/thirst and hot/cold elements, and am interested in seeing a game where the character is more than a vehicle of destruction and the challenges are more than HP batteries. That Orcish Plate Mail of Poison Resistance +6 should really start to suck about two miles into the hike up Snowcap Mountain. I want a game where you'll trade it for a nice parka and where people avoid the desert because it's the fucking desert, not because sand worms deal too much piercing damage and are immune to lightning.

That said, I don't see disease on there. Poison is okay, but does that cover food poisoning from eating nasty old beef jerky you found on a corpse in a tomb? Should you be able to catch cold? I'd go balls out and introduce a chance to get foot fungus if you're in the jungle for a week without changing your socks.
Sounds cool DVDman but unfortunately I have a mac (i know, mortal sin as a gamer).

DISEASES! I knew i was forgetting one of the big ones.
Quote:Original post by PatchesV
Haha, I'd really rather not go into all of this, I had a feeling people would react this way but I'm looking for realism in this game. These things seem like a lot of work to avoid but would come into play rarely.

Just remember that realism does not necessarily mean fun. Or interesting.

Take the thirsty state for example. This could provide some interesting gameple in a setting where fresh water is hard to come by, e.g a desert. However, if water is plentiful, it's a no-brainer that my character will want to drink and take water supplies, so don't bother me with the details. It's just making pointless work for the player.

If you're going to include it, make it interesting, and minimize the amount of hassle it is for the player, because otherwise managing all of these status bars will be tedious and pointless hassle.

To contribute:

Asphyxia: If the character is subjected to a non-breathable environment for a while then intelligence, wisdom, perception etc. will start to drop. Soon the character becomes unconscious, and a short while after that the character will die if the inability to breathe continues.

[Edited by - Sandman on December 5, 2007 7:09:26 AM]
Most games are fantasy based and players want to get away from the "real world" so this degree of realism is unneeded. Perhaps the "crippled" status would be interesting in a FPS but no one would want to play when their character has to run up to the opponent and bite them because they cannot shoot. Mouth vs M4, good luck. It would be fun to cripple every limb on the opposing team and kill them execution style =/ It doesn't seem balanced nor rational for the purpose of the game. Games are games and life is life, don't mix them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement