Status Changes for my Action/RPG (Revised)

Started by
51 comments, last by LmT 16 years, 4 months ago
To people cry like this about running out of fuel in a driving game?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
To people cry like this about running out of fuel in a driving game?

Occasionally. Most driving games don't let you run out of fuel unless stopping for it or running out of it impacts the gameplay significantly.

If you're racing across country, or doing laps on a circuit, then gas stops would be meaningful. Otherwise, any moron can pull over at a gas station, just like any moron can chew food. Being forced to periodically interact with these things would just become a nuisance unless they actually mean something.

Why not remove hunger and thirst as stats, and instead replace them with cumulative status aliments? You could have environmental factors that run in the background based on the current environment. Most environments would not have the hostile factor of thirst, but being in the desert has a hostile thirst factor of 3 minutes. Meaning that for every 3 minutes you spend in the desert without drinking your thirst status effect increases one level. The same could apply to hot, cold, hunger, wet, toxic gas, etc..

This way the player only needs to think about environmental factors, and food and water when travelling through places where those are a factor and not all the time.
Quote:Original post by MSW
If hunger and thirst are in the game then why not go all the way?

Why not add a "Need to see a man about a horse" as well as "Much pinch a loaf promtly" status?

Everyone enjoys a good bowel movement just like everyone enjoys a good meal. It will be fun!

And speaking iof stopping the flow of the game to do some tedious BS. How about a "brain fart" status where you force players to re-enter something trivial like the characters name just to continue playing. That would be fun! [/sarcasm]

Great, I knew if I didn't get my arse in gear someone would come along and have the same idea for a game. Back to the drawing board.

In my mind, the hunger and thirst dynamics shouldn't be a mini-game about feeding your tomagotchi, but instead should be a limiting factor. Why don't you just put on your chain mail, pick up your spear, and walk across the continent? Because you'll die before you get there, that's why.

40% of LotR was the Fellowship whining about being hungry (Hobbits, mainly).

"We've got a tough journey ahead, a long hike through hudreds of miles of swamps, mountains and wastelands," should make you wonder if you can survive in a hostile environment for that long, not, " I hope I brought enough ammunition to kill all the zombies."
Let me re-state the fact that this all just pre-planning. During the production phase anything that wasn't fun would be caught. If you're going to pst here either add to the list or point out a problem and suggest away to correct that. And dn't say "just cut that out" because if it isn't fun then it will be- during testing. I don't care if it looks fun to you because thats not what i'm working on. And with how simple this hunger/thirst system looks so far, cutting it won't be a big setback. Be productive or be silent, plain and simple.
I have a suggestion on the name of this game.

Wiki Online
You could always require that food or supplies be in your inventory, and have those supplies automatically consumed over time when they are. That would remove most of the annoyance factor.
Do what you want, its your game. We just see your hunger/thurst status as a glareing unproductive waste of time and resources to even try to implament. But hey, if you can't appreciate our constructive criticisms now...You best be learning to by playtesting time. Because the end users will hit your game with both barrels should anything get in the way of thier fun.
833: funny, but take it somewhere else.

Kest: That's already been included, I just didn't want to have to explain every system I had because it'd take forever.

MSW: LEARN TO READ!!! I've said that none of this is written in stone already MULTIPLE times so just do a favor and STOP posting here because so far you've contributed about as much as a tape recorder could, just repeating things.

NOW FOR THE LAST TIME, CONTRIBUTE OR DON'T POST! it's not like this is rocket science people, I know you got that itchy reply finger when you disapprove. But if the only criticism you give is "People won't like it" then just be silent! That's not an issue right now because we're not testing it.

Now for the last time:
-This is NOT a final list by any means
-Anything that isn't fun or is a hassle will be cut in testing so I DON'T CARE IF YOU THINK IT WON'T BE FUN!

My reasoning for the "wiki-online" style is because if we make a list of 300 effects and only 20 of them are fun then we have our perfect 20. But if we have a list of 30 and half of them suck then we're left with an itchy head and a lot of ".....OH! suffocation!" "NO THAT WON'T BE FUN!" "RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!"
Now for all the "Rabble-ers", go away, you are an annoyance and you aren't being constructive with your criticism.

As for people who actually like to contribute, fallow in Kest's footsteps: "Hey, this looks hassling, here's how you could fix that." I know it's far beyond the thinking of rocket scientists and to ask such a thing is unfair and unreasonable but please, try.

Everyone who actually want's to help think of status changes and possible effects and systems for them, my ears are open.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement