Sign in to follow this  

Any GOOD tutorials on how to set up Ecliplse for C++?

This topic is 3658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I absolutely love Eclipse. There are tons of advanced features I really don't care about, but what it does well for a learning coder like me is just its features that help the very writing of code. Automatically closing bracing... Very good code template implementation... Deep formatting options... Supposedly to be compiles even when I don't ask... Well, actually there isn't much more, but that's what's important to me right now. The problem is that it doesn't want to compile, it just wants to complain about me not having a makefile. Don't even know what one is. I REALLY want to be able to use Eclipse. I have Visual C++, but it's just not the same (although I will admit it has better code completion). Anyone know of a good source of reference for something like this? Maybe an IDE that has the things I like about Eclipse? Maybe a way to get what I like about Eclipse in Visual C++? NOTE: In case you were wondering, I have read countless things on getting Eclipse set up for C++, but most of them were out of date, or just didn't work for me, one reason or another.

Quote:
Original post by Splinter of Chaos
I absolutely love Eclipse. There are tons of advanced features I really don't care about, but what it does well for a learning coder like me is just its features that help the very writing of code.
Automatically closing bracing...
Very good code template implementation...
Deep formatting options...
Supposedly to be compiles even when I don't ask...

Well, actually there isn't much more, but that's what's important to me right now. The problem is that it doesn't want to compile, it just wants to complain about me not having a makefile. Don't even know what one is.

I use Eclipse basically for mobility projects.
According to "Eclipse documentation - Latest Release", you need:

Getting a makefile
You can either create a C/C++ project for which you supply the makefile or create a C/C++ project for which the CDT generates makefiles automatically.

To create a new project, from the menu bar choose File > New > Project. In the dialog that appears:

To create a project for which you supply the makefile, select either Standard Make C project or Standard Make C++ project.
To create a project for which the CDT supplies a basic makefile, select either Managed Make C project or Managed Make C++ project.

Did you?

Or you are importing from other IDE? Maybe you need to generate one.

OK. Something seems to have worked. It gives me "paths for file must have only one segment." launch configuration error message, but I think if I tinker with the launch options, that'll go away.

Thanks. It looks like the code does compile, and the only problem is running... I think.

EDIT:
Ex that. When I try to compile it says
Quote:
**** Build of configuration MinGW GCC for project TESTing ****

(Exec error:Launching failed)

And when I try to run, I get the error mentioned above.

It compiles!

Thank you so much. It runs surprisingly slow, but that could be a reasult of any number of unrelated variables. Thank you so much.

Now I'll just cross my fingers as I make it compatible with SDL, but I have some new resources to look at.

EDIT
OK, I was even able to to get SDL in there without much trouble, but now for little reason, it's telling me that it can't access the output file. And it says that the output file is some other project's .exe so yeah, it shouldn't be able to access it! How do I set that pesky output file to something actually useful?

(I'm really hoping this is the last error. I just don't know if spending all day (actually several) is justifiable to working in my favorite IDE.)

EDIT2
Actually, fixed that (somehow), but now it won't print "hello world"!

[Edited by - Splinter of Chaos on December 6, 2007 11:57:35 PM]

This topic is 3658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.