Sign in to follow this  

[C++, boost] Quick question about mutexes

This topic is 3660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It is a pretty noob question, but if I have a mutex around a block of code, does that just prevent multiple threads entering this block of code at the same time? Or does it also lock variables used in the block? For example:
public class A
{
 private:
  int x;
 public:
  int getX()
  {
   boost::mutex lock;
   return x;
  }
  void setX(int x)
  {
   this->x = x;
  }
};
In order for this class to be properly thread safe, I need to stop a thread reading x while it is being updated. Does my example do this, or does it simply make the setter thread-safe? My real example is a container, where one thread can insert into the container and another can remove from it. For example is this thread safe?
public class ThreadSafeStack
{
 private:
  List list;
 public:
  void push(int x)
  {
   list.push(x);
  }
  int pop()
  {
   return list.pop();
  }
};

I don't know boost::mutex's,
I don't see how the local variable will be connected to the other local variable, so I guess you are protecting each function alone, if the mutex class automatically locks and unlocks.

I am guessing proper use will be something along:

class A
{
private:
boost::mutex mut;

public:
void Set(value)
{
mut.lock();
// set stuff
mut.unlock();
}

value Get()
{
mut.lock();
// get stuff
mut.unlock();
}
};

Boost mutexes don't allow you to explicitly lock and unlock. Essentially the constructor calls lock() internally and the destructor calls unlock() internally - it's very nice as it means the lock automatically dies at the end of the function.

Reading the docs again it seems to suggest that *this is what gets locked. But does that mean the mutex, or the class containing the method using the mutex?

Can anyone comment further?

Boost is magic.. but its not a miracle

No, the mutex will not lock class members

what you should do to make the class thread safe is to create get/set methods and then have one or more mutexes that lock the properties

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Boost mutexes don't allow you to explicitly lock and unlock. Essentially the constructor calls lock() internally and the destructor calls unlock() internally - it's very nice as it means the lock automatically dies at the end of the function.

Reading the docs again it seems to suggest that *this is what gets locked. But does that mean the mutex, or the class containing the method using the mutex?

Can anyone comment further?

I haven't used any of boost's threading facilities, but I think you've missed a bit.

What you want is the mutex to be a class member, as Iftah suggested. However, according to the documentation, boost::mutex provides an inner class, boost::mutex::scoped_lock, which takes a mutex reference to its constructor. It is the scoped lock whos constructor locks and destructor unlocks the mutex:

class ThreadSafeStack
{
private:
List list;
boost::mutex mutex;
public:
void push(int x)
{
boost::mutex::scoped_lock(mutex);
list.push(x);
} // mutex is unlocked here

int pop()
{
boost::mutex::scoped_lock(mutex);
return list.pop();
} // mutex is unlocked here
};

This topic is 3660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.