Sign in to follow this  

Issues about converting finished game in VB 2008

This topic is 3665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

About 3-4 years ago i ve created one football manager game. I have started entire project since 1999 and i ve finished 4 versions. The last one is almost bug-less (ready for shareware or even more). - worked in Visual Basic 6.0 - i didnt want to publish that game because i have no licensed VB 6.0 - the game is big and has almost 20,000 lines of code and almost 50mb game data (pics, sounds,... and without video) i have abandoned publishing that project in 2002 because i had no money to buy Visual Studio which was over 1,200$ in my coutry in that time... Now i have free verion of Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition and my questions are: 1. Can i pusblish that game as shareware and "personal" project (not by some firm), buying VB 6.0 over the internet where VB is still "in stock"? 2. Do you think this is a good idea converting that project into VB 2008 (i have tried and it takes me almost 2 hrs per one game version and show me more than 100 errors) 3. Or maybe tring everything from the beginning, just following old code? 4. Can you tell me limitations of free verision of VB 2008? What to do!!!! Thx!

As far as limitations of the Express editions go (question nr. 4), I wouldn't worry one bit about the .NET languages. They're pretty complete for hobbyist projects such as the one you mention. They even come with the same professional-grade compiler that ships with the licensed editions of the suite.

2 or 3 may be options if you decide to properly learn Visual Basic.NET which, apart from syntactic similarities, is pretty much an entirely different beast than VB6 or any version before that. I'm pretty sure someone with the proper knowledge can give you some pointers.

This topic is 3665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.