Sign in to follow this  

Poor Game making fellow

This topic is 3626 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm pretty new to developing, i'm really an artist but i used game maker to create my space shooter, The game is completed and everything i wanted the characters to do they do, i wanted to submit it to the game showcase but im too poor to afford the membership fee, i made a one stage demo if any one is interested, http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NVWWPKWS I was paranoid people would just steal my ideas and characters thats why i made the demo small, but the game is complete 9 stages 9 bosses 2 modes boss mode and standard mode. I really don't know what to do with it maybe i'll make the complete version available soon after i feel totally hopeless or maybe not.

Quote:
Original post by "ilcamnim"
(1) i wanted to submit it to the game showcase but im too poor...
(2) I was paranoid people would just steal my ideas...
(3) I really don't know what to do with it...

1. Well, if you can't afford even that, you just need to sit on your ideas and develop them in private until you can afford to take further steps. And there are probably cheaper competitions you can enter your game in.
2. Sounds to me like you still are! Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson39.htm and I recommend the book Patent, Copyright & Trademark; An Intellectual Property Desk Reference by Stephen Elias & Richard Stim. Nolo.com (Nolo Press), ISBN 0-87337-601-3
3. It depends. What do you want to do? Do you want to get a job in the game industry, or do you want to become famous as the guy who created this one brilliant game, or what? The end goal determines the steps. To get to the Emerald City, take the Yellow Brick Road. To get to Los Angeles, take Interstate 10.

thanks again, i read the first link in your reply it was very helpful, but i got upset because my uncle is a copyright lawyer and told me that all i needed was the copyright notice, i can't believe he didn't tell me to register the copy right, i saved the link you told me to see on my favorites for when i have extra cash.

I went through the last lesson you suggested i'm having a hard time finding where to send proposals to, i did searches on companies that publish my games genre,I got some addresses but what do i do? just send a letter to them dear konami? dear capcom? i don't know what to do or what to write since they hate unsolicited game proposals like you said. i even called capcom and just got run around in circles by people who had no idea of how to help me.

Quote:
Original post by ilcamnim
I went through the last lesson you suggested i'm having a hard time finding where to send proposals to, ... what do i do? just send a letter to them dear konami?

At the bottom of FAQ 11 there was a link to FAQ 21. Guess you didn't see it.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson21.htm
Also you need FAQ 35:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson35.htm
And read Dan Marchant's article too:
http://www.obscure.co.uk/articles-2/preparing-a-product-pitch/

Quote:
I hope you had a merry christmas, thank for taking time out to help

It was quite merry, and my stomach is not too happy about it today!
Those articles tell you everything you need to know about the very difficult thing you are attempting to do. I wish you the best of luck.

yeah, i have to read through them again care fully ,i'm trying to register the copyright this week, in the mean time i decided to add a level up system for your different shots. i think its more nerve racking having a finished game then working on a game, yeah, thanks again

happy new year! by the way did YOU ever check out my demo? theres a link all the way up top , maybe your interested?? i made the power ups too :) but you dont level up that early in the game the demo is only one stage

If you want to do well in game development, you will need to cultivate a better attitude. Tom Sloper offers his advice for free and owes you nothing. Not everybody is going to have the time or interest to test everybody's game. Accept that fact and just get on with it without whining.

thats fine, but you know you tried to upset me on purpose, so you need the better attitude, i did my best to practice self control only because i respect your vast knowledge.

Quote:
thats fine, but you know you tried to upset me on purpose, so you need the better attitude

You talking to me? Because for the first time in this thread, a third person stepped in and said something to you. Up until then, it was just me helping you.
I fail to see what I did to "try to upset you," because all I did was point you to articles that contain the answers to your questions. Then I even said:
"Those articles tell you everything you need to know about the very difficult thing you are attempting to do. I wish you the best of luck."
Looks to me like the only thing I did to "upset you" was to not follow your link and look at your game. I don't follow people's links for them. It wasn't personal.

If you want people to check out your game/demo, you should post screenshots. Or links to screenshots. If those screenshots are not nice enough, you should give people reason to play it... tell something about its ultimate ai, realistic physics with ragdoll simulation, hyper fun retro feeling etc.

I'm always interested playing/trying out something new, pretty, exiting, or inspiring. But like most of us, I have a job and a ton of my own projects, so I rarely follow any blind links.

http://urangatang.com/freesites/goldenage.htm there is my site, you can find links to the demo and in game rendering of some characters. go to the site if you don't want to try the demo then, oh well. like i said it's my thread and i'll cry if i want too :P, god bless you all, good bye

Dear ilcamnim,
Regardless of the "attitude chat",
I saw your game and I just have to state my opinion so you don't hurt yourself.
Making games is fun and can be a nice hobby, but as you said yourself, you are just starting out.
So you shouldn't have your expectations too high.
I am not saying you shouldn't try, but generally [not always], the first attempts are fun but don't make it too far.
So don't run and copyright your game - I would suggest thinking of how you can improve it and make it look more professional.
About people stealing your ideas, don't worry about it at this stage, this forum is filled with people who have tons of ideas but no work done.

As for your game,
it looks like something I could play but I would still put my money on a game with higher budget. Take the 2D Raptor game for example.

Best of luck and keep on improving your skills,
In order to become an expert you first need to be a beginner, just don't expect to
success right away.

This topic is 3626 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.