Sign in to follow this  

Some books to read!

This topic is 3663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings everyone my first post was a little while back on where I can get started on game developing. Colleges, ect... So I was wanting a little advice. I'm going to make a run to books-a-million and I've already looked on this site for books but I'm just confused on what I should get. I want to learn the most I can about programming in C++, learn how to do the graphics in 3ds max, and all that good stuff. Since that seems what most game companies use nowadays. I've looked at a couple of tutorials (written and video ones), I even skimmed over a couple of books. And it just doesnt seem to be helping me out. Like I want to make a simple game of pong. I find the source code on the net for it in C++ code I copy and paste it to dev C++ and then I get errors and more errors. Kind of like a self test to see how really illiterate I am to game programming. I dont care to make a huge game like World of Warcraft, Halo, Half-Life and all that but right now i just want a simple game I can make that only takes one man. I guess the reason is I look at a book and it doesnt even have half the answers to the questions I have. To be honest I dont know how it all works. You have your coders, your designers, your audio guys. And that's all I pretty much know about. And the thing that boggles my mind is I know a really good bit about computers. I work on them and fix them a lot as a hobby. But I dont know squat about game developing. I guess the 2 have there own worlds. And I just so happen to be caught in between. But anyways down to my actual point and question I was wondering if you guys could throw some books out there that will teach somebody that knows nothing about C++ game programming and really has no experience programming at all. Thanks abunch for any helP!

I am slightly confused by your post, are asking for material on:
> How game development is done as a whole?
> How to program?

Taking that into account, do want to learn how to program or do your just want to make games?

hi, im pretty new to this myself.

Basically game programming, and even programming in general, is way different than working on computers. I've built all my computers since I was a child and I dont really think it helped that much but it probably did in some way. Making games requires a lot of effort and most of the time teamwork. Like you said there are Programmers, designers, and audio technicians, but thats nowhere near all the jobs. The designers are the ones who come up with the game idea, the programmers are the ones who make the idea live, and the audio and graphics artists are the ones who make the game look and sound good.

The reason the source code might not be working is that the code isnt set up properly. Unfortunately very little is copy and paste, life would be so much easier if it was. Dev C++ is an outdated compiler that isnt being developed anymore. I personally use code::blocks.

The book I would recommend is Beginning C++ through game programming, second edition. I dont know if others agree with me but I learned some of the basics there. I'm not really sure about any other beginners books because after that I just learned by reading every tutorial I could find. Randomly browsing articles and posts here allows you to pick some things up pretty fast as well.

well hope some of this helped.

Quote:
Original post by plastic_dragon99
hi, im pretty new to this myself.

Basically game programming, and even programming in general, is way different than working on computers. I've built all my computers since I was a child and I dont really think it helped that much but it probably did in some way. Making games requires a lot of effort and most of the time teamwork. Like you said there are Programmers, designers, and audio technicians, but thats nowhere near all the jobs. The designers are the ones who come up with the game idea, the programmers are the ones who make the idea live, and the audio and graphics artists are the ones who make the game look and sound good.

The reason the source code might not be working is that the code isnt set up properly. Unfortunately very little is copy and paste, life would be so much easier if it was. Dev C++ is an outdated compiler that isnt being developed anymore. I personally use code::blocks.

The book I would recommend is Beginning C++ through game programming, second edition. I dont know if others agree with me but I learned some of the basics there. I'm not really sure about any other beginners books because after that I just learned by reading every tutorial I could find. Randomly browsing articles and posts here allows you to pick some things up pretty fast as well.

well hope some of this helped.

I'm also new, but I agree with Beginning C++ through game programming. It is a great book that explains C++ and STL well. I still use it as a reference book. Also it comes with an IDE Dev-C++ but I don't recommend to use it. It is outdated. However, I do recommend Visual C++ Express Edition. It is free and is very powerful.

This topic is 3663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.