Favorite Programming Language?

Started by
135 comments, last by umbrae 16 years, 4 months ago
Objective Caml. Possibly the language I write the most in. Followed by PHP, then C++.

I also like sed a lot.
Advertisement
I never got far in ocaml but the fact that you couldn't do 1 + 1.0 bugged me so I went back to learning haskell. Ruby is cool to if you don't mind it being so dang slow. And hey c++ also has first class functions in the form of functors.
All languages are the same, remember? What can I say in English that I can't say in Swahili or French (if I knew them - and yes, it is a metaphor, deal with it). Although, unlike with real languages, the language you learn first is not necessarily your most fluent or favourite.

Anyway, mine is C#. It's syntax is like "C++ for Dummies" (that might annoy people but who cares?) and .NET is probably the most useful thing Microsoft ever invented, save IntelliSense. My second favourite is Python - I learnt it enough to write a mildly-complex script interpreter in about 20 hours; easiest and second-most functional (not the technical sense of the word) language ever!

My most hated is Java. It's just plain ugly, and the pain you go through to get the compiler working and keep it working and then you have to use an interpreter ANYWAY (losing any speed you might have gained through a good compiler) is just annoying.

P.S. I know half the stuff I said about Java is not true, please do not quote me and say "Ah, but..."
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
C++ is an old friend, but I like C# as a language for getting things done. I'd be 100% C# if only the .NET standard libraries were thought through half as well as the STL.
C++

Mostly because it's the language I am most familiar with. I also like that it's paradigm agnostic. I can program with generic, OO, and procedural paradigms (to name a few) all in the same project, if I were so inclined.
My fave is C++. Not for any technical reason, more of an emotional attachment I guess. Maybe it's because it's the first language I got to know in any depth but I've recently been missing it. I was/am working with C# and XNA as a personal project and we mostly use Java/Python at work, and recently I've had cravings for C++ work! To the point where I just ended up writing small tests to make sure my understanding of it was still there.. to make sure we still had that special bond.. ;)

As for least favorite? I don't really know. There's probably some obscure language around that I've never used, but if I did I would hate it, but I'm yet to find it. Most languages I come into contact with I find some interest/use. Then again, someone mentioned lolcode. That may as well be my least fave just because of the sheer stupidity of it and the time I know someone wasted in "inventing" it.
c++ for me. In the end it does whatever you want it to do.

I had never heard of LOLCODE before this thread! I think i was missing out. I will say it is my least favourate language even though i have never used it, this example was on the wiki -

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
I HAS A VAR
IM IN YR LOOP
UP VAR!!1
IZ VAR BIGGER THAN 10? KTHX
VISIBLE VAR
IM OUTTA YR LOOP
KTHXBYE

Frankly - NUFF SED.
'I is what I is. Eggegegegegeg' - The wisdom of Popeye
For games: C++
For tools: C#
---------------------------------Upon thine ass shall I bust but a single cap.
least favorite programming language: COBOL
I forgot to mention my least favourite language - Prolog. It's kind of cool, but in a sick way - like watching a car accident or something like that. That, and I think it was purely created to torture comp-sci students. I think anyone that uses it willingly and willfully is a masochist.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement