Sign in to follow this  

ODE Linux Installation Help

This topic is 3662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, I was told to use a physics engine for a school project and so I decided to pick ODE. I managed to get ODE working on my windows machine at home in a matter of seconds but my projects are supposed to also work on the linux machines at school. I successfully used the ./config and also did make successfully. However, when I went to do make install I was told that I don't have sufficient permissions to install. So my question is, is it possible to somehow change the install directory... or somehow get around this? Any advice would be great so I can get started on my final project... due very soon :/ This isn't really a physics/math question but it deals with a physics API so I wasn't sure where to put it.

If it uses the standard GNU autotools, you should be able to provide the configure script a new prefix:

$ ./configure --prefix=/home/myhome
$ make
$ make install # installs in /home/myhome/lib, /home/myhome/include, etc

You'll probably have to make adjustments to your makefile, unless ODE uses pkgconfig or some ode-config script. You'll likely also have to add the directory where the ODE shared object are located to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, but that's not specific to ODE.

Quote:
Original post by let_bound
If it uses the standard GNU autotools, you should be able to provide the configure script a new prefix:

$ ./configure --prefix=/home/myhome
$ make
$ make install # installs in /home/myhome/lib, /home/myhome/include, etc

You'll probably have to make adjustments to your makefile, unless ODE uses pkgconfig or some ode-config script. You'll likely also have to add the directory where the ODE shared object are located to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, but that's not specific to ODE.

Hmm thanks for the help. I'll try to do that. Not entirely sure about the LD_LIBRARY_PATH but I'm sure I can figure it out. Since I'm a linux novice I tend to stay away and stick with Windows.

Quote:
Original post by -justin-
Quote:
Original post by let_bound

Hmm thanks for the help. I'll try to do that. Not entirely sure about the LD_LIBRARY_PATH but I'm sure I can figure it out. Since I'm a linux novice I tend to stay away and stick with Windows.

If you act like that, you'll be a Linux novice forever. [smile]

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is much like the PATH environment variable, but for shared objects (akin to DLL). It's essentially a list of directories ld will look in for shared objects. It's useful if you don't have write access to /etc/ld.so.conf, or if you want ld to look in directories in a given order (IIRC, ld will look in the directories listed in LD_LIBRARY_PATH before looking in any other directory).

If the ODE library is installed in, eg, /home/myhome/lib, and you're attempting to run a binary (say "./foo") that requires the ODE library, you can do:

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/myhome/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./foo

Or

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/myhome/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$ ./foo

In the latter case, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable is set for the whole session.

EDIT: typo.

[Edited by - let_bound on December 7, 2007 12:47:56 AM]

This topic is 3662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.