Anyone here using MSVC++ 2008 express?

Started by
3 comments, last by daviangel 16 years, 4 months ago
If you are what are your opinions on it? Has Intellisense been fixed? Has multicore processor support been added to compile more than one file at a time? What about the Platform SDK do you still use the Windows 2003 version still or is there a new version out? Thanks [Edited by - MARS_999 on December 6, 2007 2:51:43 AM]
Advertisement
I haven't really been using it for long enough to form much of an educated opinion of it, but so far I've been quite happy with it. I didn't use C++ Express 2005 so can't really compare to it but it does now ship with a (minimal, usable) subset of the Windows SDK 6, so no more having to download it separately. I've not noticed any major problems with Intellisense so far and hadn't payed enough attention to the compile to see if it's been using both cores.

EDIT: I downloaded the complete ISO with all the Express 2008 editions, don't know if that makes a difference to whether the Windows SDK is included or not.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
I am using it but I noticed that the compiler seems purposely gimped... when you turn on whole program optimizations in 2008 it does nothing even though that feature works in 2005.
Before I begin, I'll let you know that I'm not using all features of MSVC++ so I might not have noticed some changes.

Quote:Original post by MARS_999
If you are what are you opinions on it?

I haven't seen a lot of differences, the only thing bothering is the /W64 (something like that) deprecation as it seems that MSVC++2005 was setting it automatically (now ALL of my projects emit warnings about this). It's supposed to be more optimized, and I guess it boots up a little bit faster, but nothing dramatic.

Has Intellisense been fixed?

Haven't seen any changes.

Has multicore processor support been added to compile more than one file at a time?

Wasn't this already in MSVC++2005? I've been compiling multiple projects simultaneously from this version (but maybe a single file per project at a time).

What about the Platform SDK do you still use the Windows 2003 version still or is there a new version out?

The Platform SDK is now once again included into the MSVC++ 2008 express edition bundle, which is nice because I didn't like to have to download it and setup it myself with the 2005 edition.
There was already a lengthy thread on this not long ago here
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement